Author Topic: Band Saw Questions  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Arrowind

Band Saw Questions
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:36:26 am »
I just bought a new Band Saw.  It's a Porter Cable 14" 1.5 HP floor standing model.  It has two speed settings.  From Lowes.  The best saw I could find for $400. I think.

My understanding is that the slower speed is better for cutting hardwood...  is that correct?

Are there some recommendations on what blades to use for cutting hardwood? 

I just used it to cut or TRY to cut some hickory and... well it did it but it seemed to be very difficult.  I had to put a lot of pressure on the wood. 
It ended up burning a bit as well.   

I'm wondering if I'm missing something.... if I need to change it to the faster blade speed setting or get a special blade or something.  At this point this really cool saw just doesn't seem any better than the table top ryobi I've been borrowing.....

Any thoughts?
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline RyanY

Re: Band Saw Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:12:45 am »
I have a pretty old band saw I bought from a guy on craigslist which I use the faster setting on. I was told that the fine blades were used for tougher materials where the less fine toothed blades were for woods. I've used it to cut a lot of hickory and the sharpness of the blade makes all the difference. I was using the same blade for a while and it was really tough to cut through anything but as soon as I switched to a new blade it cut through it like butter (not really but it was much easier). I'd suggest not putting a lot of pressure on the wood as that's how accidents can happen. If it's too much work to use the band saw it would be better to use a draw knife than to risk serious injury. Hope this helps.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:33:55 am »
It's all in the blade.
A rough old saw,even badly set up, will cut with a good blade.
The best saw in the world, perfectly set up still won't cut with a bad blade.
I use a blade with alternate set teeth (3tpi) it cuts a slightly wide slot and runs more freely, which is good for logs which will doubtless try move as you are feeding them.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:13:18 am »
To me, it sounds like your blade has to many tpi (tooth per inch).  When I got my first bandsaw, I tried cutting a piece of osage with a fine tooth blade.  I made about a 4 inch cut before every tooth was gone and the osage was smoking so bad the smoke detector in the garage was going off.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:09:40 am »
   I use the 3 or 4 tooth 1/2" blades and never push the wood, if the blade is dull you will just burn up your saw, learn how to set the saw up before you even use it. Proper tension and alignment of the guides makes a big difference. If the blade runs off and contacts the guard it is gone instantly and must be changed, so adjust your wheels properly by turning it by hand before you hit the switch.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:53:36 am »
Thanks guys.  That's exactly the kind of info I need. 

Yes the blade that came with the saw seems to be very dull.  I can run my finger up it and even put a little pressure on the blade with no threat of being cut.  Strange.

I'm not sure how many TPI it has but it's way more than 3 or 4.  I'll be getting a new blade as soon as I have a chance. 

I did actually spend quite a bit of time setting it up and turned in many times by hand to make sure things were adjusted properly.

It runs great and very quiet too.  It just doesn't do what I bought it for.....cut wood.   ;D     I'll get a new blade and see how it goes. 

Thanks again.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:03 am »
Last time I put a new blade on I made myself laugh, I didn't have my brain fully engaged so when it was on the teeth were pointing up :o.
So I took it off manipulated until the teeth weer pointing down and then I realised the teeth were now at the back of the blade ???
It took a few moments to figure the blade had flipped inside out as I'd uncoiled it.
It made me chuckle, I'm glad I didn't fire off a nasty E-mail.
Dear Sir, the bandsaw blade you sent me appears to be for a left handed bandsaw, whereas mine is a right handed one.
Heck it's still makin' me smile ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:01:18 pm »
Hilarious.  :D

Well I got a new blade.  Timberwolf 4 TPI.  It's like night and day.  Sweeeeet! ;D

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:55:02 pm »
Hi,

Yep,...the blade is the thing...you will enjoy that bandsaw...use mine all the time and avoid the table saw when I can..

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 10:45:07 pm »
well i built my first 76 bows with a ryobi 9 inch with 3/8th 6 tpi you really had to take your time with hickory. just recently got a craftsman 1/2 inch like new for 65 bucks  :o im using 1/2 inch 3 tpi and it cuts my hickory boards like butter the last 10 bows were with the new saw

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 11:29:52 pm »
Last time I put a new blade on I made myself laugh, I didn't have my brain fully engaged so when it was on the teeth were pointing up :o.
So I took it off manipulated until the teeth weer pointing down and then I realised the teeth were now at the back of the blade ???
It took a few moments to figure the blade had flipped inside out as I'd uncoiled it.
It made me chuckle, I'm glad I didn't fire off a nasty E-mail.
Dear Sir, the bandsaw blade you sent me appears to be for a left handed bandsaw, whereas mine is a right handed one.
Heck it's still makin' me smile ;D.
Del

Ole Knutson:  Hey!  Half these nails got heads on da wrong side!
Knut Oleson:  You dum-dum, those are for the other side of the house!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Acutus

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 01:32:36 am »
Thanks for posting this question as I learned a lot form the answers s well! :)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 05:14:50 pm »
well i built my first 76 bows with a ryobi 9 inch with 3/8th 6 tpi you really had to take your time with hickory. just recently got a craftsman 1/2 inch like new for 65 bucks  :o im using 1/2 inch 3 tpi and it cuts my hickory boards like butter the last 10 bows were with the new saw

How do you like using a 1/2 inch blade?  I went with a 1/4 inch becuase it said "general purpose".  I was torn between the two because I want to be able to cut my own backing strips and it seems the 1/2 inch would be a much better choice.  I went with the 1/4 inch because I was concerned about cutting fades etc and having to cut turns and was concerned the 1/2 inch blade may be two wide.   I know you've got tons of exp.  What is your preference?  Were you really using a 3/8th inch wide blade on the ryobi?  Do you mean craftsman 12"?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 06:22:44 pm »
I started out with a 9" bench top ryobi also.  I used it to rough out bows from full osage staves.  It has to be set up just right and you have to go slow.  I use a 1/2" blade on my 12" crafstman now.  I cut straight across the fades then come back later to cut them out.  Seems to be easier that way. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 06:43:51 pm »
I have a half inch blade on my 14" Jet bandsaw too.  It doesn't do curves real well, but normally I just get them close and finish that kind of stuff on the spindle sander.  I have a quarter inch blade hanging on the wall.  If I really want to cut something fancy it isn't that hard to change blades.

George
St Paul, TX