Author Topic: 3 cased sets / 2 Ojibwe and 1 Odawa (not for bom) closeup and bow pics adde  (Read 20927 times)

Offline half eye

Hey Fellas,
      Got down to some serious building here while it still snowing. Built three bows and three cased sets. One of the Ojibwe is a western pattern, one is an eastern/ riverine pattern, and the black bear set is Odawa styled. I made two bows for the eastern cased set a 45" elm self bow in the Shawnee pattern (49# @ 23"), and an eastern Ojibwe single side scalloped bow of 52" (61# @ 27") it's hickory backed elm and the little Odawa (Ottawa) bow is a self ash bow 45" ntn (51# @ 23") will get the bow pics posted tomorrow if the snow lets off some......
     The western Ojibwe cased set is buckskin, with pony beads. has the bow case and quiver seperate, and has a "kit" bag. the coyote head forms a rain flap for the arrows but also has an opening at the bottom edge so you can case longer arrows, (like in the pic. the fringe is cut from the original piece and are not sewed on.
      The Eastern Ojibwe, is sewed up "hair-in", and has beaver fur cuffs. again all three pieces are seperate. The tassells are strips of beaver fur and are whipped and tied on with buckskin. The bow case, quiver and bag are all "hair-in".
       The Odawa set is made from a black bear, obviously hair out. The bears head forms a rain cover for the normal arrows, but will accommodate longer ones at the bottom of the head. This set is also 3 piece. the robins-egg blue straps were dyed up because the color was common to the Ojibwe and Odawa, the beads are pony beads. There is a bearskin holder at the bottom of one bandolier strap as you can see. This bear skin and hatchett came from wildman and I think they all look real good and wanted to share the pics

Hope ya like 'em and I'll post the braced, unbraced and full draw pics tomorrow.
rich
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:39:25 pm by half eye »

Offline michbowguy

Re: 3 cased sets / 2 Ojibwe and 1 Odawa (not for bom)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:10:12 pm »
we need to see these un sheathed and drawn my good man.
outstanding covers for these works of art!
great work pre usual.
jamie

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »
very nice.you have been busy.i think i just drooled on my keyboard.i want one real bad,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:28:39 pm »
WOW!!, man Rich you are scary talented, outstanding, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30:25 pm »
 :o
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:48:50 pm »
I just knew you had to be up to your neck in sawdust...you had been too quiet for too many days  ;D

Stunning work Half-eye and I can't even see the bows very well.  Your attention to detail and the level of planning/execution is amazing.  Truly envious of your skills.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:02:12 pm »
WOW  ;D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:08 pm »
outstanding work on all of them! I really really like the coyote one though. good to see you haven't been idle. ;D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 11:03:46 pm »
Thanks for the compliments, fellas. If the snow aint flying again tomorrow I'll get the full draw pics.
rich

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:24 pm »
Wow Those are amazing can't wait to see more-the tribes you mentioned are they all great lakes area tribes?-Hammertime

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:48:04 pm »
 Very nice half eye. I really like the way "hand craft" those ;D Gives me another idea how to use the Bobcat ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 11:51:44 pm »
Staring is a prolonged gaze or fixed look. In staring, one object or person is the continual focus of visual interest, for an amount of time.

..................................................I just like to stare at them..............................................................(This message takes 15 minutes to to an hour to read if you include the staring)

you're on another level dude.... nice work.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 11:57:47 pm »
Well done, half eye. That's some nice work there! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:48 am »
wow, those are awesome!  what do you plan to do with those?? >:D ;)
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 12:06:24 am »
Man you guy's are about too much,eh? I do like them but I'm sure there is still a lot of "improvement room".

Hammertime, you are correct. Ojibwe, Odawa, Potawatomii, Cree, Shawnee, Saulk, Fox, Ho-Chunk, etc. all from the Great Lakes region of the Eastern Woodland Natives. The Ojibwe in particular were very widespread from the subarctic to the Ohio valley area and from the East to western Dakotas and Saskatchewan....I've found pics of 3 distinct styles of bows, and 2 different case sets attributed to them.

Thanks again, Arrowwind and all of ya.

got a few ideas in mind, Aero
rich