Author Topic: coke can  (Read 4376 times)

Offline aznboi3644

coke can
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:20:35 pm »
Ahh...Sunday I was at my parents house and was shooting around the yard.  It was a pretty nice day...clear sky and just a hint of a breeze.

I saw a couple coke cans in the yard that blew out of the recycle bin so I decided to take a couple empty pots and set the can on top.  Walked out about 30-35 yards.  I only had a couple arrows that I've been tuning to my bow.

I picked a spot on the can and let the first arrow fly...a little the right.

nocked the second arrow...took focus and loosed the second arrow.  I watched the graceful flight and the arc of the arrow as it knocked the can straight off the pot.

The feeling of accomplishment I had at the time was like no other feeling I can describe.  That is the longest shot I have made.  Looking back I've only been doing this stick bow thing for a little over a year.  I can remember shooting at 10 yards in my parents basement with the first bow I made and not hitting a 3 foot wide and tall target lol.  I feel I've come a long way in my form and accuracy in just a year...I don't gap shoot or anything like that...just look at what I want to hit and feel the bow.  It's becoming an extension of my body.

Just had to share with you guys.  I don't know what I'd be doing if I hadn't started whittling that first tree branch or reading the first volume of TBB.  This is just too much fun.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: coke can
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:51:14 pm »
Getting good at those long shots will greatly improve your close in(hunting distance) shots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DEllis

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:19:48 pm »
I agree with Pat there. I like to shoot up to 60 yards or so...........makes a 30 yard shot feel close. Never would take a shot at a critter that far but it's fun watching arrows fly way out there ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:30 pm »
It is a great feeling to build your skills and then feel you have complete control even if it is for that one shot. It's that control that we all strive to achieve with each shot. Wait until you get that controlled shot and you center a deer or some game you are pursuing. There's no turning back now....Enjoy
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:28:31 pm »
Have a coke and a smile.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:38:10 am »
Thats awesome but heres a tip. If you can hit a one inch target at ten yards, its the same as hitting a two inch target at twenty, and so on. Thats always worked for me and I comfortably shoot and hit a ten inch target at thirty yards, ya just gotta aim a liddle bit higher.
Its only wood

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:56:04 am »
wish i had that much distance to shoot at.  ive got like 12 yards..  but i usually do my best shooting at cans, plastic bottles, stuffed animals..  i hate shooting targets because i get bored..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline johnston

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:06:15 pm »
I get a kick out of shooting at gallon milk jugs from a hundred yards or so. Out of several hundred attempts only one got hit. An arrow in flight is a beautiful thing.

Lane

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 01:33:24 am »
I like to take apples or oranges and throw them out to shoot at.  I find the smaller the target the easier it is for me to hit it.  These are not fresh fuit but stuff that we didn't eat for whatever reason.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:16:22 am »
I like to throw a yellow golf ball out in yard and start flingin judos. Nothing better than watching that golf ball go flying across the yard. Dandelions are also one of my favorite things to shoot around the yard.

Good times, aim small and miss small.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:38:05 am »
My wife and daughter got me a Nerf football for Christmas. I set it on the ground and kick it. It starts rolling and bouncing like a rarbbit would. Entertains me for hours ;D Hmmmmm Maybe that's why the wife got it for me :o :-\ ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 02:19:56 pm »
lol I've put good use to my cousins old soccer ball...its fun to kick it and shoot it on the roll

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:28:36 am »
do not, i repeat, do not shoot at tennis balls... 

a good target, a juice bottle stuffed with plastic bags.  finally had the chance to try it out yesterday.  even though its not very thick, it stops an arrow really well.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 04:24:00 am »
whats wrong with a tennis ball?