Author Topic: very thin (width) HBI  (Read 4908 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
very thin (width) HBI
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »
I dont get to build much between a 4 month old and 12+ hour work days. A friend of mine wants a basic bow drawing about 40# @ 25-26 and 68" long with flipped tips. Im pretty sure i can make this work but id like some input before i glue and try. i have a piece of Ipe thats about 3/4 by 3/4, and a hickory backing thats almost a full 1/4" thick. so here's my questions.

1: do you think i can achieve this draw weight at 3/4 inch wide and enough wood to make it an inch thick at the handle? He doesnt want it any shorter than that.

2: will the hickory backing take the tension from a skinny/thick ELB'ish style bow? its a beautifull example of straight grain both on the top and the sides.

Thank you for any input.
Dustin D.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline sailordad

Re: very thin (width) HBI
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:37:31 pm »
my only worry would be if theres gonna be any ipe left on the limbs
for that low draw weight and that thick of a hickory backing
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:32 pm »
that side of it im not worried about, if the ipe is in danger of getting too thin i can run my handy dandy electric hand plane across the backing to slowly thin it out. so in your opinion the hick will prob hold and the draw weight will be more than enough?
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »
Get the backing down to 1/8" like the others have said. You could make a 60# bow with this combo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »
I'd thin the....oh wait....  What they said ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:12:27 pm »
Get the backing down to 1/8" like the others have said. You could make a 60# bow with this combo.

Nuff said 8)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:04:37 am »
Don't flip the tips too much: otherwise you will get serious lateral stability issues with a 3/4" wide bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:18:23 am »
I dont get to build much between a 4 month old and 12+ hour work days. A friend of mine wants a basic bow drawing about 40# @ 25-26 and 68" long with flipped tips. Im pretty sure i can make this work but id like some input before i glue and try. i have a piece of Ipe thats about 3/4 by 3/4, and a hickory backing thats almost a full 1/4" thick. so here's my questions.

1: do you think i can achieve this draw weight at 3/4 inch wide and enough wood to make it an inch thick at the handle? He doesnt want it any shorter than that.

2: will the hickory backing take the tension from a skinny/thick ELB'ish style bow? its a beautifull example of straight grain both on the top and the sides.

Thank you for any input.
Dustin D.

No
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:12:29 am »
This one is 45# @ 28" 65 ttt Shoots very nice and smooth same dimensions as  would think with good tillering you should get a sweet shooter.

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 02:57:46 pm »
Thank you all for all the input. I now have a plan of action, just waiting for an answer back from my friend.

Dustin D.

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 03:22:41 pm »
Yeah I missed the part about the flipped tips.  I don't think I'd do anything other than straight reflex on a bow that narrow but thats me.

Marc, I'm curious as to why you said No? 

Nate Danforth

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 03:57:14 pm »
Yeah I missed the part about the flipped tips.  I don't think I'd do anything other than straight reflex on a bow that narrow but thats me.

Marc, I'm curious as to why you said No? 

Me too

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 04:45:38 pm »
It would make weight, it just wouldn't be stable
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline half eye

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 11:19:55 pm »
Hey Dustin,
       Just saw yer post, I've built two short backed Ipe bows. Both of them were 3/4" wide, one was hickory backed and one was bamboo backed. The most recent was posted as "Alabama Ice Pick"...boo backed Ipe, 55" , 52#@ 27" it's 3/4" tapering to 5/16" tips and is a "D" bending bow. Shoots very fast and smooth. The other bow is 3/4" tapers to 1/2" tips 53" and 60# @ 27" it's hickory backed Ipe, also in a "D" bow configuration....the man I gave it to has killed several deer with it and shoots it regularly and has commented on how "nice" it shoots.
      Generally I would post the pics for ya but recently my hard-drive went away and I haven't recovered my photo's as of yet. If ya want to see the photos check out the "Alabama Ice Pick". One other thing is I have a really nice bow that Hillbilly 61 made me, it's real thin, real strong, and real quick.....it's a skinny boo backed Ipe and shoots really smoothly. I believe that he posted the bow as well.
     So my experience would be that; keep your hickory thin and build that thing, ya just might like it, eh?
rich

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:18:22 am »
I would make it stable by gluing in a bit of string follow to encourage stability. You could kerf the tips and put a touch of curl in them. Definitely thin the backing a bit but there's notrhing wrong with a half and half belly to back ratio with Ipe.
 I made a long narrow bow for a girl that's along those lines. 3/4 inch wide and Maple backed. The backing is a 1/4 inch and a hair thicker than the belly. I made the bow 72 inches.
 A bit of string follow makes the bow easier to string and smoother to shoot. You're sacrificing negligible performance with that.