Author Topic: Osage Pyramid Bow Build-Along-FINISHED!  (Read 30672 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Osage Pyramid Bow Build-Along
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »
4est, very nice work. The bow is outstanding! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 12:01:30 am »
I've been watching a little spot on the lower fade that was fishy from the start.  It appeared to be a slight defect in the wood that I noticed after heating in the reflex.  It has since developed into a chrysal.  It has been holding fine after about 50 shots today at full draw (which is two inches longer than mine and ain't easy to manage for my scrawny little arms!).  However, I could never send it off in its present condition, so I decided to repair the area using a rosewood plug.  Here's some pictures of the process.  The first is of the offending area:

I've roughly marked my 1/4" diameter hole to be sure I can remove all of the damaged wood:

Next, I clamp the bow to my drill press work table and properly align a 1/4" straight cutting router bit will a flat bottom profile.  I set the drill press to the highest RPM's and then drill the hole:

I use a 1/4" plug cutter to cut out a Honduras rosewood plug.  H. rosewood has a specific gravity of about 0.90 while osage is around 0.82.  I use a wood denser than the bow for the plug to help prevent it from collapsing on itself:

I saturate the hole with superglue and tap the plug home:

A little sanding and we're back in business:

Looks kind of like a wart, eh?  I'll leave it sit overnight and start drawing it some tomorrow.  Thanks for looking.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 12:32:24 am »
Miss Monroe had a beauty mark and she made quite the last impression...I'm sure this Osage will as well.  Nice work 4rest.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 01:03:32 am »
This bow is giving me a 7 Year Itch.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »
Alright, so here's an update on the "plug patch."  There seems to be no ill effect on the bow.  Here it is drawn to 1" shy of full draw.  Sorry about the poor picture...it's at work where I often use the large mirrors to tiller a bow. :)

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline DEllis

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 08:25:24 pm »
That is a beautiful bow. I like your fix for the little fret and the kerf lamination technique is great too. I've learned a few things from this thread. :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »
nice save, I will have to remember that technique, thanks for showing the process.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 12:29:00 am »
Well, I gotta stop shooting this bow in before I ruin what few arrows I have left.  Here's some indoor shots from 15 yards today...I scared the nock off of one arrow    :scared:   I've got the handle contoured and am ready for final sanding, finish, etc.  Looking forward to giving it away :) 

Offline artcher1

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 09:00:16 am »
That's some fine shooting 4est! You were smart to wrap below your nocks. Hey, here's a tip that will help with those busted nocks. If you can find the rest of the nock, super glue it back on, then heat the plastic nock and remove. Your repair (nock taper) will have already been made when you glued the busted piece back on and now all you'll need to do is glue on a new nock. Works exceptionally well...........Art

Offline ohma2

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 10:40:21 am »
as usual 4est fine work. im glad you posted the plug on the edge of the limb. ive  been doing that with deer antler for some time , been criticized by some saying it wouldnt last,well it will and does. i have a couple bows that are several years old and were repaired in that fashion. it holds up just fine, even on the limb edge. again beautifull work.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 12:10:40 am »
Here's the finished pictures of the bow.  It's 64" ntn, but I can't reveal the draw weight/length as it's for a trade on another site...I'd hate to give it away :-)  I've been shooting it a bunch and really like the way it handles.  I wrapped the end of the kerf cut in the tips just for added security.  I've never had one give, but a good solid wrap is cheap insurance.  You can catch a glimpse of that plug patch in some of the photos, which still reminds me of a "beauty mark."  Anyway, thanks for lookng!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:38:14 am by 4est Trekker »

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Osage Pyramid Bow Build-Along-FINISHED!
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2011, 01:46:23 am »
beautiful bow 4est. , whoever gets that will be proud  ;D

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2011, 03:59:48 am »
Great bow!
Frank from Germany...

HatchA

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 11:51:53 am »
That turned out amazingly well!!  Love it!  Maybe call it Marilyn  ;)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »
Man that's sweet
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995