Author Topic: Osage Pyramid Bow Build-Along-FINISHED!  (Read 30674 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Osage Pyramid Bow Build-Along-FINISHED!
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:53:20 am »
Here's a bow I'm working on for a trade on another site.  It's a pyramid bow, 68" tip to tip with 2" of reflex heated into it.  Here's a few pictures of the process so far.

I harvested a big osage about 2 1/2 years ago that so far has yielded 8 bows.  Here's a few of the staves:

This is the one I chose for this particular bow:

Here it is roughed out:

After a bit of heating on the caul, it yielded this.  I've since heated it two more times to tweak the alignment.

It's now on the short string (4" brace height) and tillered to 20"

It's holding 1 3/4" of reflex when relaxed and 7/8" just unstrung.  My camera curves the image, so the bow actually looks flat in the next picture, which was take immediately after unstringing. However, there's really 7/8" of reflex in the limbs.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:13:07 am by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Osage Pyramid Bow Build-Along
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:55:15 am »
Here's three sister bows built from the same tree for a little teaser:

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:40:02 pm »
Looks really nice.  That was a good tree and all those bows look great.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »
That static recurve still gets me, such a nice looking bow.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:46:14 am »
On the tips, you look to have about 7 layers of thin strips of various woods? What are those woods and how thick were the strips used?
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:02:46 am »
I was wondering the same thing about those "lams" or "colored strips" n the tips through the brush nocks.  Sexy looking too, but I am curious about the build process on that bows tips  ;D

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:14:54 pm »
Really nice work. The brush nocks look nicely done, And your recurve Kerf lines are clean. Well done.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:24:05 pm »
ooooh, she's very pretty, I think I'm in lurve ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 03:14:22 pm »
WOW! I remember seeing the one with the brush nocks around when I first started. You sure make the most out of every log. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:06:01 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, all.  Regarding the brush knocks:  I use strips ranging between 1/16" and 3/32".  I apply the lams one at a time, which allows them to form to the curve of the bow (which really isn't much there).  Once they're all applied, I shape the knocks using a Dremel sanding drum and hand files.  Here's a few more pictures of those particular nocks:

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 08:49:42 pm »
Thanks for the extra pics 4est, so is the whole bow made from osage lams then?  I am still trying to envision how you get that long darker lam that runs in the middle of the limb/tip.  I can see how the other layers are all added but that one single line stumps me (not hard to do on some days  ::))

Thanks~

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:34:42 am »
That's a kerfed recurve.  I resaw the last 7-8" of the limb on the band saw, in effect creating two lams that can now be bent into a curve by hand.  By inserting a thin piece of wood (the darker one), I fill the gap left by the kerf of the saw.  I apply glue to all surfaces and then clamp it in a recurve caul.  In effect, I've got a selfbow on the inner 2/3 of the bow, and a laminated bow on the outer 1/3.  I hope that makes sense.  :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 12:54:22 am »
great looking bows 4est, been wanting to try that kerfed recurve, glad you reposted it, Bub
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:55:03 am by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 01:52:02 pm »
Thanks 4est, that makes perfect sense and is what I assumed you had done but from the pics I still couldn't make out where it was a kerf or not (which is a sign of a good kerf imho)  Thanks again for sharing your techniques and pics...very, very nice workmanship.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 02:42:06 pm »
I have to ask.  You show the one picture of a bow with syahs.  Did you sinew back that bow?  What is the length of the bow?  How far does it draw?  I have always thought that osage would take the bend required for this style of bow.  Congratulations on your bow building skills!!!!