Author Topic: Opportunity knocks!  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Acutus

Opportunity knocks!
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:42:46 am »
Hey all, today I think I got lucky. How lucky will depend on your answers to my questions. ;D I was out teaching a Nature Program and found a newly fallen tree laying across my path. Just happens to be Osage Orange. What's even luckier is I happen to have my chainsaw in my truck too. ;)
This is where my questions start. I know this stuff has to be sealed but I really wasn't too sure what to do. So here is what I did and you all can tell me if it's ok.
I cut the straightest pieces I could get to, and put them in my truck then I figured I had to seal the ends to keep it from checking. I had to improvise a little here so I hope I did ok but I had a small can of exterior paint so I painted the ends and have so far left the bark and sap wood on.
Is this ok?
If so, how long can they stay this way before I have to process it (Split and seal properly)?
When I do process it I, do the splits then use poly on the ends and back correct. Is it ok to leave the bark and sapwood on the outside pieces?
Will post pics tomorrow.

TIA!
Billy

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Opportunity knocks!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:47:40 am »
I would split it out and remove the bark and sapwood now.  The sapwood will be easier to get off plus by removing the bark you get rid of any critters living there they my bore or eat the wood.  Then seal the back and ends with poly, white elmers glue, shellac whatever you have.  I have used elmers glue and poly with good success.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:53:03 am »
If nothing else, split them in half and seal the ends with wood glue.  Before long you will either have to remove the bark and sapwood(and reseal the back) or treat the bark for wood bores. The eggs are in the bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:32:43 am »
after you get the straightest ones reduced to one growth ring, then seal it good  and send it to me... :D

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:52:37 am »
after you get the straightest ones reduced to one growth ring, then seal it good  and send it to me... :D

X 2 ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 12:24:16 pm »
 I would remove the bark and sapwood also.  I lost a good amount of osage this year because I left it on and the bark loosened allowing it to split like crazy on the back.  I use shellac to seal the backs.  I was going through the spray cans to quick, so I switched to a quart can and use an old paintbrush.  How long did you cut the log?  If the tree will allow it, I try to cut them to about 80".  That gives me plenty of extra to work with later.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:14:36 pm »
    After the staves are split I paint the ends and spray you don't have to take the bark and sap wood off If you don't want to. I have osage staves 20 years old and when I GO AND GET ONE AND THERE FINE. I EVEN HAVE WHOLE LOGS SEALED ENDS. I MAY GET TO SOMEDAY. THEY'LL SPLIT FIND, SOMETIMES I'LL TAKE OFF THE BARK SAP WOOD SIMI BOW FORM, seal the whole bow and hang between 2 saw horses with cinder blocks to put in reflex.
   As long as the ends are sealed and sprayed with pestaside there find.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Acutus

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:40:22 pm »
ok, thanks y'all! I'll probably split the logs this week I just wanted to be sure I had that long without damaging them. I'll remove the sapwood and bark as well just wanted to be sure I didn't immediately have to do it. I work all weekend and won't get to it for at least this week. Main thing is too I'm not sure I'm ready to even work with Osage yet so it may be a while before I make a bow out of it and want to be sure I prepare this stuff right!

JJ, and HB1977, I would but I don't have a box big enough! ;D

I also cut some smaller pieces and I may try to make a tomahawk handle first to see how this wood works. ;)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 12:06:46 am »
Acutus: Good find!!!! I recently made a handforged tomahawk with an osage handle. It turned out great. I posted it here.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Acutus

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:08:38 am »
Hey Hickorybill, I'll have to find that post! ;D