Author Topic: My ugly bow  (Read 21768 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
My ugly bow
« on: June 02, 2007, 12:08:10 am »
Hello, here is my latest project. It is 57" tip to tip, 1 1/4" wide until 8" from the tips tapering to 1/2" nocks, 4 1/2" handle wrapped with 80# braided fishing line. Thread wrapping on top limb covering a suspect knot, the wrap on lower limb just asthetics.Stained with Minwax Jacobean. It is 45# @ 26". After shootin in @ 40#@26"(that was my goal) I had about an inch of string follow(got in a hurry) so I dicided to try flippin the tips and ended up at 45#. It shot so nice I decide to leave it there. The tiller is really ugly on this bow, it needs to bend more from the fades and I could'nt get as much bend toward the tips as I wanted cuz of the snakiness and a couple of troublesome knots.This was a narrow split off another stave so I could'nt lay it out around them. Made this bow for a freind and it was kinda hard to let it go cuz man it really shoots well and fast and incredably smooth although Im not sure why :o....Let me know whatya think.

Brian

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: My ugly bow
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 12:13:31 am »
      Brian......very nice. Let it alone, shoots good an smooth and ya like it. Tiller is sometimes asthetics, shoots good right ? Once again very nice bow, can see why have trouble lettin' it go ;)....bob

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:15:26 am »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think it's pretty!  SW
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 12:26:34 am »
Thanks fellers, first bow Ive made thet shoots where you look. I put around a hundred or so shots thru it at 10 to20 yards and you could darn near draw a ten inch circle round the arrow holes :D...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 12:45:09 am »
Very nice bow, Brian. ;) Those little kicked up tips add a bit more zip to a bow.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 12:51:59 am »
Thanks Pat, I learned alot from this one.......Brian

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 12:58:07 am »
Not as bad as you made it sound, actually I like it ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 01:23:51 am »
Pretty nice looking bow Brian.  Now go make yourself one.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 05:50:18 am »
well, i can't see anything wrong with it.  i like the FD shape a lot.  there's something about those flipped up tips.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 09:23:53 am »
Even ugly bows need loving too ;)
Looks ok to me
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tarsus

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:23:46 am »
Very nice bow Brian :)  Your friend, I am sure, will be very thankful ;D  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 10:48:22 am »
Osage - right?
It is a very nice bow.  The braced view on the chair looks like there is a slight over-tiller (hinge) on the left limb. But the full draw doesn't show it.  I like this bow a lot. Check it out again at the end of the month June Self Bow of the Month voting.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 10:49:04 am »
I don't see anything even remotely ugly about that bow. Looks to me like you did a fine job. Now tell your friend it broke and make him an ugly one  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline tarsus

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 10:54:48 am »
 :D :D :-X
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 11:01:25 am »
I agree that it could use a little more bending around the fades, but there is certainly nothing ugly about that bow. The flipped up tips give it a nice profile. Is that osage?
Gordon