Author Topic: Cherry  (Read 1655 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Cherry
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:34:07 pm »
I am going to get a cherry tree tomorrow.  I always take the bark off and seal my wood, but may not have time to do much.  I have no experience with Cherry, so does anyone know if leaving the bark on and sealing the ends would be a big problem?  I'm not sure what type of cherry it is, just that it does not produce fruit (so it is either an ornamental or a fruit bearing with no cross polinator nearby.)  The bark is a rough like a black cherry, not smooth like some other varieties I have seen.  I do not have pictures- any ideas on what type of cherry it might be?  If anything, I'll have some wood for the smoker   ;)   Thanks for the help.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cherry
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 01:11:43 am »
Jeff, at least split the log in half and seal the ends.
  As far as which cherry it is would be hard to say. There are lots or hybrid ornamental cherrys plus a few varieties of natives...but all should make pretty good bows.
  Did you get my email last night with pics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 01:20:18 am »
Thanks for the info  on the Cherry Pat.  I just went and looked at those pictures and WOW  :o You did a great job on that.  Somebody is going to be really happy!  I've been planning a project but can't decide which style I want to make.  We can tak at the Classic - maybe I can get some pointers  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:49:39 am »
I'm making another for someone at the Classic so you can see both there.   This is nice leather to work with.   Whatever you need to know!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:11:39 am »
Jeff, young black cherry trees have smooth bark with the horizontal lines on them and as they get older the bark becomes more rough. Hard to say exactly what kind it is without seeing some pics.