Author Topic: New John Strunk bow  (Read 14072 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

New John Strunk bow
« on: March 31, 2011, 05:55:32 pm »
 I haven't posted anything in a long time, haven't had much time to build bows in the last 2 years either...Been alot going on in my family with the birth of our daughter who has been through a tremendous amount of medical issues, and the passing of my brother.    Anyways,  I wanted to show you all the bow that I received last night. This bow is a memorial to my brother Mike. My brother is 15 years older than me, and was my father figure growing up.  He taught me to shoot, and taught me everything I know about nature, wildlife, etc.  We spent thousands of hours in the woods together. We had the kind of relationship where we could spend all day talking hunting/fishing, or spend an entire day in the woods and never have to say a word to one another.  I really miss him.
  John Strunk was always my brothers favorite bowyer. He had the good fortune of having John make him a glass backed Spirit Stalker back in the late 80's, and that was always his favorite bow.
    I had John make a bow in my brothers honor;  Its bamboo backed yew, with a bloodwood accent in the handle and buffalo horn nocks. Its 66"  and 55#@28.  I had him name the bow "Uwharrie Spirit", as the Uwharrie mountains are where my brother and I spent so much time in the great outdoors. Those mountains are really special to me. 
  I own a couple of older Strunk bows that I have picked up here or there, but this is the first one I had custom made by John.  As always, the quality of his work is just incredible.   When I opened it yesterday and pulled it out of the bow sock, my eyes welled up with tears and I just sat and held the bow for a long time.

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Re: New John Strunk bow
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:04:41 pm »
Sorry for your loss Titan... Great looking bow and I believe your brother will be looking down on you everytime you pull that string back and release the arrow from it. God bless and good luck hunting this year.

Offline Markus

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:15:08 pm »
Wish you all the best and congrats on a real nice bow. Markus.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 06:17:32 pm »
Sorry for the loss :( prayers go out for your daughters medical issues The bow is beautiful and a great idea to have John build it in memory of your brother. I cant think of a better builder or company (Spirit Longbows) to have build it, John puts his heart and soul into all of his bows and I have been lucky enough to live near him and stop by to work with him and just chat ask questions watch him work and I will say you will not find a nicer more helpfull or careing guy than John. I agree your brother is looking down and as pleased as you are with the bow, you will cherrish that bow forever as you will your brothers memorys.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:12:20 pm »
The bow is a beauty, and a great tribute to your brother.  I hope all the best for you and your daughter. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline paul craig

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »
Very handsome bow and a great way to carry your brother's memory with you.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:11 pm »
Incredible bow and a great tribute to your brother. Says alot about him that he was special enough for you to have a tribute bow made in his honor... also prayers for your daughter-been there, it sucks.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »
sad to hear about the lose and your daughter...that is one kick butt bow...john all was does sweet work...the stick is great..and i really hope you get some thing with on that favorite mountain of yours...john

Offline Acutus

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:15:01 pm »
What a great bow! Made even more special by commemorating the bond between you and your brother. Wishing you the best with your daughter as well.

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 11:54:34 pm »
I buried my younger brother in December. I know what your going through. Wish you all the best in the days ahead.

I think your brother would have loved that bow.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »
I too am sorry for your loss. and best wishes for your daughters recovery from her ailments. as far as the bow goes, John does great work and I am sure he was honored to build it for you.

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 12:34:26 am »
That is an awesome tribute to your brother, and what a beauty.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 01:11:24 am »
Great memorial bow. My thoughts are with you

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 09:04:18 am »
Sorry for you loss,that is a beautiful bow.Very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 11:23:49 am »
Thanks for sharing the bow and your story.
1’—>1’