Author Topic: International Warbow Meet  (Read 10032 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: International Warbow Meet
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 03:42:25 am »
My girlfriend has some interesting obsession with visiting Rhode Island for some reason, you definitely won her vote!  :D 
it is worth the visit, its amazing in my opinion, great  food( again biased) ;D, btw where are you from, this would be a great experience in my opinion
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 07:17:04 am »
I would love to go no matter where such an event is held. If the time and place is known good time in advance, it's easier to save up money. If anything this year, it has to be close both because of family plans and economy. Sweeden, Denmark or maybe Germany would have been possible. (And Norway of course :) )Maybe England if the time would be after August.. I guess more people than me have similar considerations based from their location.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »
One thing I would say. If putting on a warbow event do not under estimate the amount of space required. Batsford has used a really big field and surrounding land in the past and in the flight shoot arrows were shot out of it. A roving wrabow shoot is good and needs even more space. So you'll need an archery friendly farmer who doesn't mind a whole load of people trampling over his farm which must be largely grass with some interesting terrain and trees to shoot over, plus a really really big open field!
Steve Stratton who has laid on the ETAS Batsford shoot could no doubt give some good advice.
Mark in England

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 07:27:26 pm »
One thing I would say. If putting on a warbow event do not under estimate the amount of space required. Batsford has used a really big field and surrounding land in the past and in the flight shoot arrows were shot out of it. A roving wrabow shoot is good and needs even more space. So you'll need an archery friendly farmer who doesn't mind a whole load of people trampling over his farm which must be largely grass with some interesting terrain and trees to shoot over, plus a really really big open field!
Steve Stratton who has laid on the ETAS Batsford shoot could no doubt give some good advice.
Mark in England
if we do it rhode island, there are many farms that are not reall used just occasionaly for graising, and one that im thinking of 5 minutes from my house could have it where if you over shoot, it goes into the bay, can anyone say extreme fishing ;D, not sure if it would be allowed there.
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 12:30:58 am »
lets try to make a list of where everyone is, and try to find something close to a central point, just an idea, but what about doing a warbow trade within the people coming ;D
noel

Offline RyanY

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 12:43:33 am »
Seeing as how many of the members here are from Europe, the location would most likely be somewhere in the north Atlantic.  ;D All kidding aside I would love to have another meet I could go to if it weren't too much trouble. I would even be interested in going over seas for it but I don't think I'd be bringing anything but myself. That would be fine with me though if you guys had some bows I could shoot. May need to work up my strength a bit.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 02:39:05 pm »
Excellent point Mark. Everywhere I go, every single day, I look at every field as a potential shooting grounds  :) What is a safe distance for a suitable field? 500-600 yards? I noticed that the longest flight record on the EWBS website was 438 yards. I would love to talk to Steve Stratton, I constantly watch the EWBS shoots and ETAS shoots on youtube to get a feel for how things are run. It would be nice to hear what Steve's thoughts are on this and get some pointers.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 02:38:15 pm »
If nothing else, would an American warbow meet be more doable? That way it would sorta serve as a practice round for a larger international meet.  Just a thought, I certainly don't want to lose sight of the international meet idea, but maybe starting smaller here in the states would be a better start.

Oh, Fishfinder I live in Washington state, sorry you've had to ask me several times man! :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:16:21 pm by Dag »

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 05:33:01 pm »
dag, i think the trial run in the us is a great idea, how about haveing it in the north east region  ;D, all i know is i want to be able to meet some of you and shoot my bow ;D
noel

Offline markinengland

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
Another thing to consider is transporting bows by air.  Not an issue if travelling overland but can be a real pain with some airlines who place limits on length and impose high costs. Not sure what limits exist within the US but I know I couldn't take some of my longer bows to the paleo planet meet in Bulgaria via British Airways.
Mark in England

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 07:34:22 pm »
Good call Mark. When I travelled within the U.S. last summer (from Alaska to Washington state) I had to pay around $35 to put my warbow on the plane. It is probably a safe guess that traveling internationally AND overseas with bows is more expensive.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 05:00:50 pm »
So I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and was wondering, would there any interest in an American Warbow Society? Or perhap New World Warbow Society, in keeping with historical terminology.  I know there is a relatively new Dutch Warbow Society and they seem like a pretty vibrant bunch.  Would folks here in the states support such a society and keep it lively?  Perhaps regional warbow societies? Like mentioned in the beginning of this topic, centrality of events is an issue. Let me know what you think!

Offline Ian.

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 06:00:59 pm »
If your a member of the EWBS then 'shoot' the sectary an email and he will be able to propose it at the AGM, there are a few groups affiliated to the EWBS around the world.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:07 pm »
i would be interested in a new world warbow society ;D, especially if we could get together periodically and have shoots
noel

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »
Unfortunately I am not a member Ian. Is there still a way that I can contact them?

Thanks for the enthusiasm Fish! Haha