Author Topic: International Warbow Meet  (Read 10033 times)

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
International Warbow Meet
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:13 pm »
Has there ever been any talk or considerartion of an international warbow meet?  Is it conceivable to consider a meet in the future, or would it be to complicated?  I can imagine a 3 or 4 day event with seminars, classes, competition and recreational shoots, and general archery fellowship.  It seems like it could something fun and enjoyed by all should it come to fruition. 

Offline Ian.

Re: International Warbow Meet
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:44:16 am »
Sounds good I would go if it was central, I think your problem is that its so political you will only get half the people attend.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »
Both great points Ian. Centrality would help accommodate folks traveling long distances, and now that you mention it I can see the politics of it becoming an issue. In a perfect world folks could put that kind of stuff to the side and enjoy a few days with like minded people from around the world participating in an activity we all love.  Naturally, the first meet, should it happen would have its hiccups, but being the goodly folks we archers are could put on a successful event if we wanted to.

Thanks again for the input Ian. Anyone else?

-Dag

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »
depending on when and where i would be interested, i would be nice to meet some of these  great people here ;D
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:10:11 pm »
I think a warbow olympics would be nice. Not include warbows in the olympics, but have a worldwide annual warbow competition/festival thing would be very nice. I don't know. Just brain storming. It would be a good place to buy/sell, or even just look over medival style archery tackle from all over the world?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:17:09 pm »
That's a very interesting idea there toomanyknots! I love the Olympics idea  :)  Vendors would be a definite must have. Good storm, haha.

Offline ChrisM

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »
Batsford comes pretty close, folks from all over Europe attend. 28th/29th/30th May, held this year at Sevenhampton near Swindon, UK.
See http://www.etas-archery.com/

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:11:33 pm »
I love the idea!

When and where is another question.. Batsford is a great idea, but that is allready a great event. This one should maybe be an event of it's own..? -And is it a good idea to change location every year, to include more people..? I know I would try to come no matter where such an event is held, but it's a lot easier if it were held in a neighbouring country than if I had to cross the atlantic or go even further to attend. I guess more people than me have family and family finances.. By changing location from one year to the next we are able to incluce more people.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »
Batsford looks like a wonderful time.  Makes me wish I lived in Europe!  I like the idea of this as its own event. Nidrinr, that is a fantastic idea of having it change locations every year! I myself live on the American west coast and I would travel as far as the American east coast...for now. The current economic situation inhibits me from going any farther and Im sure many others are feeling the same pinch. My ultimate dream would be to travel to Europe and loose arrows with the goodly folk there. So, that idea of changing locations is very appealling. I'm glad you guys are expressing interest  ;D  I was afraid someone would have brought this up in the past only to be shot down. So, this is promising! Keep slinging out those ideas and thoughts!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:08:34 pm »
i also like the idea of it changing locations, im on the east coast and because of my age i cant travel far

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 02:59:10 am »
Would it be wise to plan this sort of event every other year, or every two years? This may help in the sense that folks may not be able to afford going to Batsford AND an International meet every year. Batsford and other events can remain yearly and not lose attendees because of travel expenses to another event. Make sense?

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 03:05:51 am »
Would it be wise to plan this sort of event every other year, or every two years? This may help in the sense that folks may not be able to afford going to Batsford AND an International meet every year. Batsford and other events can remain yearly and not lose attendees because of travel expenses to another event. Make sense?
as much as i hate waiting i have to agree :-\, if this were to happen, where do you think it would be ???
thanks
noel

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 03:23:03 am »
Indeed, how wonderful would an annual international meet be?! Alas, it would be very difficult for many folks to attend such an event every year.  As for where the first meet would be, I envision something on the American east coast or the UK. Why? I say the American east coast because of an earlier comment, centrality. People from all over the US could easily travel within the US, the American east would be the closet American region for European attendees. Why the UK? The UK has such a strong foundation within the warbow community that I feel many folks regard it as the main hub of warbow activity, if you will. Not to mention the UK historic ties to the warbow :P Sorry for my run on sentences, this just gets me excited even thinking about it  ;D  These are just the visions I have in my own head. I am in no way, shape or form promising an event in either location. So, tell me what you think about that, and please anyone add input on location location location!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 03:26:32 am »
if on the east coast, i say go for somewhere in new england, preferably rhode island( i might be biased a little though) it would be so nice to finally meet some of the other people on here and to see what a tru boyer can do, as when i look in the miror, i only see a small sliver of a boyer ;D

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:37:41 am »
My girlfriend has some interesting obsession with visiting Rhode Island for some reason, you definitely won her vote!  :D