Author Topic: duplex nails  (Read 4058 times)

Offline chessieboy

duplex nails
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:40:24 pm »
How well do the dulled nail points work on 3D targets for those who use them with cane arrows

Offline jonathan creason

Re: duplex nails
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:42:57 pm »
They've worked great on every target I've tried them on.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:13:02 pm »
i am making some right now.i haven't tried them on my targets yet,but i will let you know as soon as i get the chance.how did you make yours?i cut the top head off and sharpen the small shaft above the second head.then i glue the whole nail part in the cane shaft with the small sharpened shaft sticking out.the only reason i am asking is because mine are not dulled.i will go out and shoot one and get back with you,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »
i just shot one of my arrows with the nail heads at my foam deer.they work perfectly.i only took two shots,but so far so good.hope this helps,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:55:10 pm »
 I sharpen mine on the grinder. Take it down to a shap point. Most of mine are dull now :-\ But that may have someting to do with missing a target ::) Like seabass, I epoxy mine in. By the way seabass. how is the cane doing?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline thomas h

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:13:50 pm »
i have some cane arrows with  nail points  made by aero 86 and they work great.

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:03:36 am »
i was gonna say something, but thomas beat me to my own experiment!  lol  how they working thomas? 

i really liked using the duplex nails for heads.  seemed to keep the arrow from penetrating as deep.  but lately ive moved on to using screw in points and glue on points for my cane arrows.  just for the lighter weight and adjustability
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:18:08 am »
Mark the cane is shooting great,thanks.heres another idea i had for points.i am going to try different glue in heads for carbons shafts.i got a bunch of heads coming.i will let you know how it works out guys,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:43:38 am »
 Steve,,You'll like them I think. Like aero86, I 've tried some with inserts so I can go from , say 100 grns to 125 or even a broadhead. Dont get me wrong. They work great. But I like the duplex the best ;D

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:22:19 pm »
i shot the nail heads some more today.they work really well on my foam deer and turkey.the heads make the arrow not sink in so deep.makes them easier to pull from the target.this is an added bonus,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Online osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:11:18 pm »
I put the nails in a drill and used a grinding wheel to get a point on them.  I am ready to put some cane arrows together and had a few questions. 

Do you guys wrap the cane behind the point with something?  I was thinking about using serving or 1 strand of B-50.  Would you super glue the wrapping, or use epoxy?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:20:24 pm »
hey outlaw,i use heavy thread and coat it with duco.this works very good.i have used old bow strings made of dacron.just take it down to a single strand.do yourself a favor and get the duco.it dries fast but not as fast as super glue.hope this helps,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 11:29:55 pm »
Naaaa. I tried that and all it does is come off after shooting a few times. I don't use anything behind the point. After putting the epoxy in the shaft and on the nail, it makes the front of the shaft very strong.  ;)

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 11:41:59 pm »
mine never came off but it did wear pretty quick.after wrapping i saturate the tread with duco.problems i have had with the old dacron bow string is that it was usually waxed and didn't take the glue to well.the epoxy would probably make the cane real tough up front.i am going to have to try that.thanks hillbilly,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 02:30:59 am »
i never wrapped behind the head..  especially if you use some epoxy.  most of my duplex nail heads were glued in with hot glue..  no problems.  that way, if i had a missed shot, and hit some wood, it would pull out easier, leaving the nail stuck in the wood.  then just glue in another, or use some pliers to pull it out.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.