Author Topic: mold on vm or wood  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Blacktail

mold on vm or wood
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »
when i was living down in southern oregon i stored some of my wood at my father-inlaws place...he had a shed that was covered but the roof was seperated from the walls..western oregon has some really wet winters and alot of fog..SO,during the winter my wood got mold on it and for some reason it really liked the vine maple...SO, QUESTION IS...can mold do damage to wood..it was only on the wood for 4 months but thought i better ask...i got moved back to central oregon and it dryed up..john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: mold on vm or wood
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:40:27 pm »
This is not coming from a wood (expert) but if its just some surface mold it wont hurt it as long as the wood is still good and hard and there is no rot into the wood. I had some flooding in my basement and developed some mold on some of my vine maple and just finished up a bow with one of the staves it wiped right off when I was ready to go and the bow is shooting nice, I will post pics and specs of it when I get some good pics.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:53:26 am »
thats good to hear josh..its just kind of funny that all my vine had the most mold on it...i guess it just wants to be back out in the wet wood..john

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:15 pm »
i've had mold on VM and it didn't seem to hurt the wood. I have heard that the reason VM has so much moss on it is because of sugars it excretes from the bark- perhaps this attracts mold, dunno. If you're concerned, just send me the staves!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:05:01 pm »
what you are in washington..you got vm coming out of your ears up there...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »
Ya thats what I was thinking heck aaron you were selling or tradeing the stuff at glass buttes ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:53 am »
ok,ok i admit i have a problem with VM- still searching for a straight stave! hahaha
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 05:43:14 am »
ok,ok i admit i have a problem with VM- still searching for a straight stave! hahaha

Ya I hear ya there ;D