Author Topic: Splitting for the most  (Read 8621 times)

Offline seabass

Re: Splitting for the most
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 07:35:43 pm »
Timo this is a great thread.good info on the splitting process for newbies like me.we have alot of osage here in the great state of Ohio.i will be searching hard this year.i have my eye on some good straight black locust,but you know that osage is like gold.thanks for the pics,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 10:05:46 am »
Wow,,,,Excellent post, Good information. :o
Just for reference, what is a good price to pay for an Osage stave say 70'' long?
I have never tried Osage yet, But I plan to in the near future
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Timo

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:26 am »
Bow Junkie, depending on who and where you get it and the quality of it.$50 to $90, plus shipping. There are alot of variables involved.

If you buy over the internet, be sure to ask for pics, of end grain,overall, pin knots,twist,reflex/deflex,When cut, etc. Gather as much imfo as you can about it before you pull the trigger. There are those that  are willing  to sell you junk, and smile.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:35 am »
Thank you for the response Timo, and good luck on those staves.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Postman

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 02:53:01 pm »
Nice haul, great info!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

DCM4

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 04:39:47 pm »
Yer a glutton for punishment boy.  Reminds me of the century tree, and carrot wood, and of good times.

Offline Timo

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 08:01:42 pm »
Hey David, been wondering about you bud! Good to hear from you. How are you doing these days?

Not a glutton by any means,just like a concrete flat worker,all you need is a strong back and a weak mind.I was working that log the other day and figured it was a good op for showing some of the probies bowyers a bit about saving wood.

I miss trees like the century tree,not sure if I will ever get another one like that.And I had completely forgotten about the carrot wood!Thanks for bringing that memory back.

Take care of yourself and you are still on my prayer list.

Offline rainman

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 01:25:30 am »
Hey Tim, as usual great tutorial.

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 05:23:37 am »
That is some fine yeller wood right there! Great post Timo, now you got me wanting to go cut some hedge rows  ;D
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 11:14:12 pm »
wow

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »
Timo, I was just rereading this whole thread in search of some details and couldn't find them...maybe you can answer them for me?

Are you doing these splits once the wood is dried/seasoned or are you doing them while they are still fresh/green?  Thanks.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Timo

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 12:56:48 pm »
Lee, I always do it as time allows. If I have it,then I do it fresh off the stump. I also make clean end cuts when processing to be able to see the end grain better,and always re- date, and put some imfo on the stave/billets as to where it came from for future reference, after sealing..

On some of the billet wood, I will clean the backs down, seal really good, but leave them one piece.They can always be split, or band sawn later to half them.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 03:34:01 pm »
Thanks Timo...I only asked as I was out in my garage ogling my pile of recent Osage cuttings and I had 2 log splits/halves from a 40" chunk.  I did a similar layout as you showed in your photo but my splits didn't work out nearly as neat as yours appeared and I was simply wondering if dried or seasoned Osage would split a bit cleaner and not have the thinner wood strands that tend to cling and keep the split from "popping" off cleanly.   Anyway, thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 12:07:10 am »
Timo this post inspired me to go out, cut and split some Osage
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Timo

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 01:05:40 am »
Good to know that a few pics can help out some fellow bowyers. 8)

Be sure and post some pics of yalls work. ;)