Author Topic: I think its early retirement for the Hophornbeam  (Read 5376 times)

8up

I think its early retirement for the Hophornbeam
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:29:50 am »
I worked on modifying the tips earlier this week and then today I shot it some and then notice what appears to be a fracture on the belly of the top limb. its running from left to right. the limb itself has a abnormality in the grain shaped like  > and what appears to be the fracture is in the middle of it. I am thinking I better put this one up as a keepsake while its still in one piece. I shot it 3 hours ago and I just measured the tips and the top limb has 2 1/2" set and the bottom limb has 1 7/8". I had fun building it and I am very proud of it. I also learned a lot. I have #2 ready for the tillering stick right after we induce some reflex. I am heading up to Cloverdale with Pappy on Tuesday and hope to learn more  Thanks for everyones input on this one...........Ron

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie

Re: I think its early retirement for the Hophornbeam
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:25:19 am »
keep shooting it and build another. i have some bows that look like frankenstein they have so many sinew wraps on em. they are ugly but they keep shooting. also if the tiller is good the set may be coming from moisture. hornbeam is very stubborn with moisture. very similar to hickory. wrap the chrysal and dry it out to see what happens.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:29:09 am »
Yes might be a good Idea but all in all you done a good job on your first and they will only get better,We will work on some this week in Cloverdale,I think you need a lesson on on debarking
Osage,I will show you and the nice guy I am I will let you enjoy the process. ;D ;D Plan on debarking and chasing a ring on the Bark half of the sister bow,this will be baby sister,same snake
should be cool. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:24:01 am »
Congratulations on a shooter, 8 up. Very nice feeling ha?. Chrysals that are localized to one spot are caused because the limbs are bending too much in that area. the fix is to retiller leaving that area alone. You may have to also  retiller  the  other limb to match.  Don't worry about set just yet. Reflexing a stave makes for a more difficult tiller. I suggest you work with the stave "as is" until you get a few bows made then may be try something different. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 11:11:37 am »
Are you sure it's a fracture? HHB can have very odd markings in the wood itself. I have seen what looks like old bug tracks that have healed over with new growth
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 12:22:27 pm »
I liked your bow so much I listed it twice for May Bow of the Month voting. :D ;)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

8up

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 12:54:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Pappy i will be ready. Oldbow even with it being it couldn't get a vote lol, but thats fine the tiller killed it. Now if the contest was who learned the most in a month i think I could get some votes......Ron

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 02:12:29 pm »
That's a great attitude Ron, just hang in there and get some more bows under your belt. You're doing great! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...