Author Topic: Biggs jasper and chert?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Biggs jasper and chert?
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »
Was wondering if anyone has ever collected or worked with Biggs Jasper? Im going to Goldendale Wa end of may to visit the inlaws and want to collect some rock while there, any info would be much appretiated. I also heard there are some cherts there and Agate in Goldendale if anyone knows about collecting there or helpfull info would be great.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Tower

Re: Biggs jasper and chert?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:22:59 pm »
I have worked Biggs jasper. It makes a beautiful point.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:32:57 pm »
I have worked Biggs jasper. It makes a beautiful point.

Did you heat treat it? and thanks for the reply

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:50 pm »
Yes I treated it .I don't know what the exact temp was, I treat in the ground with a small fire.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:12:18 pm »
never worked biggs but every jasper i know of heats at 400-450. i had some fancy jasper i cooked in the oven for 4 hrs at 400 and it improved a lot.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:14:21 pm »
Thanks

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:07 am »
I've never tried it. Send me a box and i'll let ya know ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:31:19 am »
will do ;D

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 12:41:23 am »
are you talking about Biggs or Deschutes? Heres a picture of some of both tha I have, the first pics is a chunk of the old Blue Biggs, rare stuff nowadays. Pretty rock, chekc wth Jason Hinkle at hinklesrockshop.com he is in Oregon and runs across good pieces

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:32 pm »
Ya thats all nice looking stuff there, I was reffering to the biggs jasper because thats where ill be collecting. Did you collect yours or buy it?

Josh

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:44:35 pm »
I traded some of my coral for it, I dont buy rocks.  Like I said contact Jason, sometimes he buys large estates of rocks and has some in there. Good luck with it, I hope you find a truck load

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 05:42:24 am »
Thanks

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:01:15 pm »
Good luck on your rock run..Jason Hinkle is a good guy..bought off him a couple of times never a problem
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano