Author Topic: First self bow shot at a pig  (Read 6772 times)

Offline gstoneberg

First self bow shot at a pig
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:48:51 am »
Well, I played hog hunting guide this weekend for a young friend of mine who I hunted with and taught to build bows back in Nebraska and his 2 friends.  I put the 3 of them where I thought they'd see pigs and put myself where I thought I wouldn't.  I was wrong.    The stand is close to the feeder, probably 12 yards.  When I got in the stand I realized I'd left my tab and arm guard in the golf cart.  I keep a spare tab in my back pack and had swiveled the chair away from the feeder to look into the pack when I heard the stampede of pigs to the feeder and the very loud crunching of corn.  The trail cam, in a rare moment of perfect timing, captured the sequence of events right up to the shot:

Now, the stand is only 6' off the ground.  I abandoned the search for a tab, turned very slowly, extricated my longbow from the branch it was hanging on, pulled an arrow off the branch it was hanging on and nocked it.  Then I got to thinking about being the guide, and that one of the  young men was in a blind not 150 yards from me that had a trail running directly from this feeder to that one.  So, I passed the 2 larger sows and waited for them to move off into the brush.  Then I selected the white shoat in the center of this picture...

and sent an arrow right under it's chest.  Good grief.  As I sat there and stewed, I heard Jeremy shoot (he was using a rifle) twice and it turns out he tagged a nice sow from a different sounder and then a shoat (we always try for the young ones for the grill).  So, I got down, picked up my errant arrow and went to collect his prizes.  I won't post that picture here since he used a gun.

The next day he surprised me by presenting me with a bow he had built for me.  I had worked briefly with another young man that lived across the street from Jeremy but he had stopped working on his bow.  Jeremy got that stave and finished it for me.

What a great gift, I had no idea.

It pulls 47# @ 28".  The handle is decorated with the rattle liberated from a snake and he used a turkey spur off one of his birds for the arrow rest.  It is backed with bull snake skins.

The weather was a little fickle, going from 88 on Saturday afternoon down to mid 40s Sunday morning.  I thought that might spark hog movement, but it didn't.  We blanked on Saturday night.  It was a great hunt with some special guys.  And, I'm looking for even lighter spined arrows now.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

Re: First self bow shot at a pig
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:58:28 am »
Cool and nice story. Except for the missing part.  >:D
FYI, we had snow again today. :'(

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:58:36 pm »
Cool story, thanks sharing !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:20 pm »
nice hunting pics and story. and congrats on the bow-very cool
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:09:57 pm »
Really enjoyed that story. Thanks.

Lane

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »
Thanks guys.  I just love working with kids, even after they grow up.  I have 2 coming over tonight after work (ages 12 and 16) and we're working on a pair of hedger-blade knives.  Once those are done we'll start bows for both of them.  These guys are growing up in a single parent home and I'm trying to spend as much time with them as I can.

I'm sure there'll be a few more hunts coming up before it gets too hot this summer.  My goal is to post a picture of a dead hog of any size with the selfbow that killed it.  If I start taking these boys out it'll postpone that as I'll be working to get them shots.  But that's OK, I've killed lots of hogs, just none so far with a self bow...and there's still time. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DEllis

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:06:52 pm »
That's a nice bow. And good for you taking those kids under your wing. I know what it is like growing up in a single parent home........I was fortunate to have a grandfather close to me while I was growing up.......man I miss him :(
Can't wait to see your selfbow pig :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:13:18 am »
you lucky duck!  one of these days we will get a hog!  you with a self bow me with some kind of bow!  maybe you should shoot two arrows at once like kevin kostner! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 08:49:59 am »
I've tried the 2-arrow shot before.  I'll bet most everybody who was shooting a longbow when that version of Robin Hood came out went right out and tried that shot.  It looked cool for sure, but my 2 arrows were a little weaker flying than old Kevin's.  Great movie though.  Sadly, I'm afraid I can miss with 2 arrows with the same abandon I can miss with one.

How's the new bow shooting?  So far I don't have anybody to hunt with in April.  I'll go alone if I have to, but I'd rather hunt with somebody any day.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 03:48:46 am »
the new bow is just awesome!  now if the shooter could shoot it properly, it would be even better! lol.

idk if i can find time in april, pretty busy month for me.  well, now that baseball and teeball season is starting, idk when ill have free time! lol.  maybe in the summer
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 04:27:36 am »
That's good campfire sharing.  Impresive bow that young man made you. we all miss... Tennyson wrote, "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all..."

I think I would write, "Tis better to have shot and missed than never to have shot at all ;D"
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 10:04:12 am »
Well, I would offer accuracy advice, but having just admitted to missing such a close shot, that might be a little silly. :-[  You'll get it.  The comfort factor in the hog hunting goes way down in July and August.  We sweat all night in the stands, then during the day we run a generator and sleep in the trailer with the A/C running.  Even though I made a 12v shower, it is impossible to keep scent free and very hard to get in bow range while stinking.  I pretty much only gun hunt in the heat (and you're welcome to join me).  Baseball and Tball with the kiddo's is important stuff.  We'll get it done some time.

Yes, Jeremy did a nice job on the bow.  He texted me the other day and asked if I'd shot it since getting home.  I was embarrassed to say I hadn't (hadn't shot my bow either).  I have got to work on arrows.  It'd be easier if I didn't like making bows so much. ;D  And, I've missed a lot over the years, though I can count on one hand the times I've missed underneath the animal on such a close shot.  With deer I often get second, third and one time, fourth shots.  Hogs, not so much, unless it's a group of small ones with no sow with them.  Looking forward to our hunt.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:19:19 am »
That is a sweet looking pig killer there. The young man did a supurb job. The pigs got my blood preasure up ;D Where are you located George? I wouldn't mind hunting with ya ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »
The pigs always get me going Hillbilly. ;)  I'm in the Dallas suburbs on the NE side.  My lease is west of Fort Worth a couple hours.  I'm always looking for people to go with me so if you can get here when I have the time to go we'll do it. ;D  My April weekends are pretty shot but should have some time in May.  A 5-day exotics license is about $50.  Our hogs are free range so there's no guarantees.  Most of the time we're hunting hogs, somebody in the party sees them.  We've killed 7 so far this spring on 3 hunts (all of those with rifles).

George
St Paul, TX

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 11:14:37 pm »
Sounds like fun. Don't know about May. Do ya hunt in the summer?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2