Author Topic: all hammerstone agate basin  (Read 5537 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
all hammerstone agate basin
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:28:07 pm »
no edge work has been done obviously. i will break out the punches tomorrow and see if i can thin it some more. currently stands at 7 1/4" long,  2" wide, 7/16" thick. more than happy with what i have but the joy in knapping is pushing the limits!!  ;D was very pleased too with the amount of overshot flaking i got with the hammerstone.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

Re: all hammerstone agate basin
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »
That's awesome. I'd love to see some videos of some more hammerstone work from somebody. Jamie, in the other thread you mentioned maybe youtubing your projects. How about some on some tough material that you guys have up there?

Offline jamie

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:48:25 pm »
as soon as i get some more of the normanskill i will. maybe i'll play around with some of the rhyolite spalls i knocked out first. i gotta get my daughters video camera first. she knows how to edit and use photoshop to hide all the step fractures and glue lines  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:48:43 pm »
That is nice work.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:48:05 am »
Very nice, jamie what's the material? Kinda looks like some material we have here in Texas.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:05:19 am »
rootbeer  ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:59:13 am »
Nice work Jamie!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:05:51 am »
Beautiful work jamie,always impressed with you hammer stone work. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jamie

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 12:20:19 pm »
thanks guys. got a hell of a surprise this morning. driving around with my 5 yr old and i heard tink, tink tink coming from the back seat. i asked him what he was hitting. he says, "im flint knapping , just like you" . looked back and he's got this basin blade in one hand, a hammerstone in his other, just choppin away at the edge!!! after i temporarily freaked out and made sure he wasnt covered in flint and blood  i laughed my tail off, said nice work but we cant flintknap while we are driving. blade is still together just lost some width.  ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 12:40:04 pm »
OUCH!  I know the feeling when the kids start doing something a little dangerous.  And to top it off your point was the victim!  Good thing it's still in one piece.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:10:01 am »
Very nice looking hunk of rootbeer there Jamie! Man! I need some time in the pit!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:41:51 am »
I don't need no 5 yr old to help me loose wide on my points Jamie! :D

Offline jamie

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 09:03:15 pm »
this is what i got after my 5 yr old beat the crap out of it.  ;D no more agate basin. just a knife. finished it off alternating between antler tine and antler punch. 7" long , 1 1/4" wide and 1/4" thick

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 11:16:48 pm »
Ain't nothing wrong with that Jamie! Man, that's some knarly looking concrete in that thing. A little heat would do wonders for it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 09:02:56 am »
im too impatient to heat the rock. i just push harder and hope it goes through the concrete.  ;D

waterbury, ct