Author Topic: white ash build along (finally done( this time for real))  (Read 60649 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: white ash build along
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:10 pm »
dont worry elktraker, i want getting ahead of my self, just curious, i found a bottle on my dads work bench that said its for dissolving shellac, and i read the article on the PA homepage and got curious. i think the string is a little off center, but i think i do need a little off center right, and need to fix the hinge. pat b was going to send my some horn for the tips, so im going to wait to finish tillering before those go on. i think the weight is still a little high, but its close to 120, right now its at 50@13in, and gaining around 4lbs per inch.
thanks for helping with the tillering, ill also try to get a little straighter of pictures, the camera was at a little of an angel, so that might have some effect
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2011, 09:19:09 pm »
dont worry elktraker, i want getting ahead of my self, just curious, i found a bottle on my dads work bench that said its for dissolving shellac, and i read the article on the PA homepage and got curious. i think the string is a little off center, but i think i do need a little off center right, and need to fix the hinge. pat b was going to send my some horn for the tips, so im going to wait to finish tillering before those go on. i think the weight is still a little high, but its close to 120, right now its at 50@13in, and gaining around 4lbs per inch.
thanks for helping with the tillering, ill also try to get a little straighter of pictures, the camera was at a little of an angel, so that might have some effect
noel

Worried cummon  ;D I know you will do fine just sayin you got a ways to go yet ;) Keep up the good work and thanks for doing the build allong.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2011, 02:17:41 am »
She's coming around nicely, Noel. Take it slow!  ;)   Be sure you exercise her limbs between wood removals. You won't truely know how the string tracks until you get her to low brace. That is the end of phase one and the beginning of phase two!  :o
 A shellac and linseed oil mixture, French polish, was a traditional wood bow finish. I don't know what a traditional war bow finish would be though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2011, 08:24:20 pm »
I don't know what a traditional war bow finish would be though.

BLOOD       >:D >:D >:D

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2011, 10:18:09 pm »
That would be the top coat Tim!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ian.

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2011, 06:57:32 pm »
Hows it going Noel...
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2011, 07:16:49 pm »
i will be posting more tonight ;D, I've had a busy week, birthday, friends, brothers friends, national honors society ceremony and the list goes on.........
i will post a few more tillering pics, and hopefully in the next few days a braced pic, pat b sent the horn for the tips so it will finnaly look like a warbow ;D
thanks for the interest
noel

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »
Noel, looks good to me, though I know very little about ELBs.  Good luck with it.  It's fun to watch your progress.  I wish I'd started building bows at your age.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2011, 01:59:17 am »
anyone want to see the other project that is currently distracting me from this bow ;D,
 i have vacation all this week so don't worry ill get time in on it and hopefully by the end of the week, have it braced ;D
noel

Offline RyanY

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:46 am »
Any progress? I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come out.  ;D

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:56 pm »
sorry about the stop in progress, ive had allot of home work, was making a new fishing rod, and ive also had to check out colleges, hopefully ill have some more progress shown. i should have the tips on soon, ive got them ruffly shaped and drilled out, i just need to cut the knocks and fit them to the bow. i also got some nice leather for the handle form an old suitcase ;D
noel

Offline RyanY

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:01 pm »
So I'm guessing you've finished tillering? Where did she end up at?

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2011, 10:43:51 pm »
not finished tillering, ive done most of it with the long string, and im going to do the short string with the horn nocks on, because i dont want to cut too deep of temp nocks in and the string has already slipped once or twice and i have low ceilings so i don't want to chance it, ill actually post pics of the horn tips before i put grooves in it in a minute, should i do grooves before or after attachment?
thanks
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54:24 pm »
ok. here are the tips so far, im not sure why it looks weird, it was the best of the pics i took though
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2011, 12:56:54 am »
I would totally shape the tips and cut the string grooves before I installed them on the bow. You will have to do a little smoothing out of the transition between the limb tip and horn after they are installed though.