Author Topic: cowboy rock  (Read 1865 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
cowboy rock
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:01 am »
got a present yesterday so i decided to try a scottsbluff. still needs edge work and this piece was mostly limestone. as usual with some of the texas stone the limestone is better to knap than the chert  ;D hammerstone biface with an elk ishi stick and ulna bone for edge work

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline TRACY

Re: cowboy rock
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:52:28 am »
Great point Jamie! Always good to get rocks in the mail ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:15:23 am »
Nice!  How would you compare the ulna bone to antler?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jamie

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:35:09 am »
thanks. shannon since you told me about the ulnas found in kentucky i have been using them. i find it perfect for edge work and dressing a notch platform. on candy rock i'll use it for the entire notch. on harder stone i still use antler to punch the notches after dressing with the ulna. i cant get the unla to drive flakes like i can with antler. it usually just chips the edge of the bone.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:30:52 pm »
Killer man!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:35:41 pm »
Jamie, I have a buffalo ulna that, with the right muscle, will drive flakes. You might want to try to find one of them. They are a good bit thicker,so narrow notches are still in question.

I never have been good at notching,I struggle alot with it. Just started working with antler punches and must say it does take some getting use to.

Also been trying to use hammerstones exclusively and man does it get frustrating! >:(

Offline jamie

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 12:50:02 pm »
thanks jesse :)

tim i'll definetly look into it. hammerstones definitely take some getting used to. i find it takes a much more vertical swing to release a flake. once you get used to using punches they work incredible. its just like any other abo tool though, because it doesnt have a perfect surface like a copper bopper you have to figure out your preferred angles and swing harder than you would with copper. thats why i like the punches. i can direct the force exactly where it needs to go and strike hard without the worry of overstriking or missing and crushing an edge. notching was a bit of a chore untill i realised im just not gonna get incredibly narrow notches with the tools i have right now. im in the process of making an antler punch for narrow entry notches. once its done im gonna attempt an andice.

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 02:40:10 pm »
Thats nice very good looking point
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 04:49:25 pm »
That looks great Jamie! That rock is pretty nice but with a little heat i think it would almost work like some Georgetown. I'll have to try that next time i'm around home.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:40:20 pm »
definitely reminds me of rhyolite the way it leaves small fractures along the flake scar. i hate heating rock but i may heat a few pieces to see how much it improves.

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:42:18 pm »
I run out of comments for all this great work these people post. But anyway....Awesome!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 12:48:21 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:24:29 am »
I cooked up a batch Jamie but forgot to put a peice of that in there - I remain optimistic ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.