Author Topic: An unexpected gift / a bearded axe  (Read 2565 times)

Offline half eye

An unexpected gift / a bearded axe
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:32 pm »
Just received an unexpected gift from Matt S. Thought ya might like a peek. This is a very fine hand forged bearded axe, well made and well balanced....it's gonna look real good up next to one of my Mollegabets......comr in handy if I meet any of them Screalings.

Thank you much Matt, it's much appreciated.....just might have to do some carving on that beautifull handle ya put on her.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: An unexpected gift / a bearded axe
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:14:25 pm »
Uff da!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:16:17 am »
Sweet,thats a nice one.  :) Nice job Matt. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:54:32 pm »
Really glad you like it rich, also glad it was a surprise!

A little info on the axe:
I forged it from a high carbon RR spike (one of the guys at the blacksmith shop was giving me heck for "cheating" by using a RR spike ;D)
The eye was hot drifted. The handle is a cut off from a 1x2 hickory board, shaped with a rasp and finished with Olive oil.

Like half eye said, it is well balanced and just the right weight IMO, the whole thing is right under 2 lbs. To test it before mailing it I roughed out a bow with it. It made very quick work of the red oak I was hacking away at! On one hand it was hard to mail it off because I liked it so much ( >:D) but on the other I simply couldn't wait for half eye to get it!

Rich, I forgot to mention when we were talking that the previous time we were conversing on the phone you mentioned how much you liked the Viking bearded axes. At the time I was looking at this axe (just after I had finished it) and I just knew you were going to love it. It was REALLY HARD for me to not spill the beans and ruin the surprise though :D

I'd post a couple of photos I took of it but my camera has walked off.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:29:33 am »
That is one nice looking axe.