Author Topic: Welcome Visitor?  (Read 18590 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Welcome Visitor?
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:22:45 am »
Pappy has a thread titled "life is good" and life is good but sometimes it can give you a kick in the pants. A couple weeks ago I had this guy come out on the road across from my house right at dusk. I took a picture, although the quality is low you can still make out what it is.

He came across, walked down my drive between my truck and the entrance stairs then went through my garden and into the swamp behind my house. That was nice to see, then.

This morning I get up and go outside and see a rather large hole in mygarden where I have Onions and youmg Spinach growing. I thought something has been digging, it happens. Not the case. This is what I saw

Fortunately his 6' gait was enough to clear the Fennel and Tomatoes but the Potatoes on the other side got driven down a few more inches into the ground :)

Now he is not such a welcome visitor but this Fall......................................
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

Re: Welcome Visitor?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:33:26 am »
MMMM moose roast with onions and fennel eh LOL
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hhop

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:35:40 am »
It is apparently a nuisance now, but still pretty neat, for someone like me that does not have those here!
It must be dry there. I see you are watering your plants. It rained here last weekend, but we still need more.
Harold
You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:36:04 am »
Your deer up there sure are awfully big and funny-looking..............If one of those came through my yard, it might walk right into the freezer  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:57:28 am »
They sure are heck on gardens aren't they.  Not much you can do to stop a critter that size either.  Wait for him with some blunts and put him on the run.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 01:03:28 pm »
I also have that life could be better,and this is what I am taking about,he could have just hung around till fall and stayed out of the garden.I agree that is pretty cool to see at least for us Southern boys.I have Turkeys doing the same thing and that ant to good either. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 01:53:01 pm »
You forgot the Potatoes Dana

It was dry Harold but we just got rain and it's supposed to rain for the next few days

Ah Steve. If he hangs around long enough the freezer is where he will go. Wrong time of year right now and I still got meat.

No not much can stop them. I've seen them take down page wire fencing that will hold back Cows and Horses and just keep on going. I don't think they see stuff like that as an obstacle

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 12:43:21 am »
   He looks like a tastey chunk of meat to me :PLooking at the garden though,you need to fertilize more.Those are small plants.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 01:31:01 pm »
Gee Eddie. I thought they were doing pretty good considering we were getting freezing weather not much more than a month ago.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 01:37:42 pm »
That moose probably did fertilize the garden on its way thru ;D

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 02:17:57 pm »
Marc, Eddie lives in perpetual  summer. He wouldn't know frost if it bit him on the nose! ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 04:28:42 pm »
                                                 EXCUSE ME but I visited Eddie in Feb this year an it was 26 deg that morning. Went to knap-in  and it wasnt much warmer than that all day with wind blowin' ! Now thats cold and fer southern boys its hell ! >:( :D :D.....bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 06:01:29 pm »
   Guess you're right Marc.I started my garden the first of Jan.I've already cut the collard greens three times,Picking tomatoes now and have 7 pineapples not far from picking.celantro,hot peppers ready to go.But then my garden will burn up in another month.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 06:23:27 pm »
Marc, don't the bears get into your tomatoes?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 08:18:34 pm »
And exactly where is it that you live again Eddie. I think I'm about due to pay you a visit :).

I've never seen a Bear eat a Tomato. The like berries. grains and meat but not to big on veggies

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com