Author Topic: HHB - Trade Bow (was in Progress...now not so much)  (Read 10857 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: HHB - Trade Bow (In Progress)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:14:45 pm »
That cherry bark is nice looking stuff. Good work so far.
Darcy :)

Thank you kind Sir~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 05:07:08 am »
Looking good Lee, I got some choke cherry bark that Pat sent me and plan on backing a yew bow with it. Looks awsome the way Pat described it, looks awsome the way you got it on that HHB as well. I had one tillered out and was just about ready to back it when she blew on me. I would of really been bummed if I had already used my cherry bark, bad enough I blew a yew stave.

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 07:23:33 pm »
Thanks Stiks!  I like it so far but do hope the Tru-oil makes the bark "pop" a little more, I think it will...

Sorry to hear about the Yew.  That is a wood I really want to work with at some point but I think getting a few bows under my belt will help nudge me towards better success with it.  I sure hope this HHB doesn't blow since I got the rawhide and bark on it but I guess we'll find out soon  ;D

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: HHB - Trade Bow (was in Progress...now not so much)
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 08:40:31 pm »
Welp, seems I have my 1st casualty for the "corner of shame"...

Heard a few ugly sounding crackles...

and then this happened.  I rasped down through the side to find out why and it seems some worms had been here before me.

Here are a couple shots of the tips I was working on...still had a lot of fairing in and finish work to do on them but I was starting to like how this "stave" was coming together.

Maybe next time  :-\

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:48:14 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »
 :(
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »
It might just be the picture or my eyes but it appears that some bug damage might be the culprit of the mishap.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 09:40:42 pm »
My last osage failure had that same look to it.  I'm developing a healthy hatred for the little borers.  That is too bad.  Sometimes the wood just won't be a bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 10:41:52 pm »
My last osage failure had that same look to it.  I'm developing a healthy hatred for the little borers.  That is too bad.  Sometimes the wood just won't be a bow.

George

Well I had a hint of their work when I cut the profile on the bandsaw but hoped I'd out run their work once I got far enough into the stave.  Learned my lesson...no more working on staves that show any hint of bug activity.  Speaking of which, guess I'll use this example as a good teaching lesson and will get to splitting and debarking all the Osage I hauled 2 weeks ago.  That might drive the point home just a bit more  >:D

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Keenan

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 11:31:06 pm »
Bummer that was looking good. If you an't breaking you aint making

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 12:29:42 am »
Lee,

I work with borer wood all the time.  The big ones have yet to cause a failure.  It's those little ones like you could see on that side profile that get me.  I've only seen them in wood that's been down a long time.  The osage I didn't debark is infested with large borers that are easy to see and deal with.  I split a fence post the other day that was full of the little ones and got the chain saw and cut it into fire wood right away.  But, I've been treating my wood now and will be debarking and sealing a bunch here too.  That is for sure the way to go.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 12:54:54 am »
To bad man. those nocks look awesome as well as the cherry bark.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline johnston

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 03:41:17 am »
Lee ,I am building my first and come here for inspiration, solace and to go ooohh and aaahhhhhhh .
 This atrocity brought tears to my eyes , man.

But you are getting the cherry bark you really wanted and the next one will have better juju.

Remember to post the pictures. :)

Lane

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 09:27:53 am »
That hurts me to see. A man puts a lot of work into these bows and to get it to that point and have it fail hurts even more. Can you imagine how our ancestors who built their bows with stone tools must have felt when that happened? Sorry for your loss man. :(
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 09:28:41 am »
To bad,that was really shaping up nice.The tip and bark looked great.  :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DEllis

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 04:19:48 pm »
That sucks :(
I received a stave a while ago that had the exact same looking borer holes on the inside.......was almost impossible to see from the outside. Better luck with the next piece.
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!