Author Topic: Odd sinew question...  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Odd sinew question...
« on: April 09, 2011, 03:32:26 pm »
Sitting here this afternoon watching a program that we DVR'd off the Science Channel and they did a little detailed discussion on the Red Kangaroo.  Has anyone worked with Roo Sinew before and could it be potentially better than even Whitetail sinew?  Just was thinking out loud...

::)

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Odd sinew question...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:47:26 pm »
I've looked for it online in the forum of unprocessed uncooked dog treats. I've found someone selling em but they were out at the time.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:59:46 pm »
Lee, I am going to chime in here.
I have sinew backed well over 100 bows closer to 150 probably.
I have used deer, back sinew, deer tendon sinew, cow back and leg sinews, buffalo sinews, moose sinews and a few others.
In all that sinew backing I have found no difference in the final outcome of overall bow performance.
Some sinew is much easier to process and work than others but if prepared properly it seems to all work the same.
Just my opinion.

Eric

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:38:52 pm »
Eric, many thanks for your reply.  I have followed your contributions to the forum and really enjoyed your work.  I've never used sinew or done a sinew backed bow but I would like to in the very near future.  I had heard/read that for some reason cow or domestic animal sinew was inferior to that of wild game...I'm glad to hear that you have noticed no difference.  Given my inexperience I doubt I'd notice any deficiencies so I gather if I have a local source for cow leg sinew I should be grateful and happy for the chance to put it to good use?

Many thanks~
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:43:23 am »
Hi Lee
It was a while ago when I saw roo sinew, I beleive it was from the tail, it seemed very long which makes i a little easier to back a bow. I dont remember quite well, but like Erick said, no difference. I have used moose, elk, cow, antelope and deer and not a difference noticed either. now I use cow because its very accesible like you mentioned and I find it easier to process than most other sinews.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:24:57 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the fed back.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:46:55 am »
I have used sinew from several different animals, Deer, Moose, Cow, Caribou to name a few and I've also used Ostrich sinew.  The only problem with Cow sinew is that it is oily and has to be degreased.  The only one that I have found to be somewhat different is the Ostrich sinew.  It seems to be able to take more heat than the others without shrivelling and it doesn't get quite as supple when wet.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 11:54:13 am »
Thanks Marc...I assume (hate doing that) you can "degrease" the cow sinew with Dawn dish soap but washing/rinsing  it after pounding into strands?

I think what you noticed about the Ostrich being different makes sense, not being a hoofed animal I would expect some differences plus since the thin and hollow bone structure of avian animals is so different from other animals one would almost be surprised if their sinew/muscle properties weren't different as well.  Interesting stuff...thanks for sharing your thoughts.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »
I've used emu sinew also. Emu and ostrich, even though they are birds , probably don't have the same bone structure as flight birds and especially their legs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:44:22 pm »
Any dish washing soap will do to wash the sinew and yes after it has been pounded and shredded, make sure the soap is well rinsed off.  It can be done just before you apply it to the bow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:37:08 am »
Lee, I think the NC 'Roo season is coming up. Put one of your beautiful birds on a Mountain Kangaroo and give the sinew a try ;D

Lane

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 11:06:29 am »
Lee, I think the NC 'Roo season is coming up. Put one of your beautiful birds on a Mountain Kangaroo and give the sinew a try ;D

Lane

LOL, hadn't thought of that option Lane...great idea!   ;D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold