Author Topic: HHB - Trade Bow (was in Progress...now not so much)  (Read 10856 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

HHB - Trade Bow (was in Progress...now not so much)
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:31:51 pm »
Well, I've been working on the HHB stave and decided to add a little reflex on the Caul with the heat gun.  Here's a shot of "her" cooling down.

Here are a few of the materials planned for the build...some Goat rawhide, Choke Cherry bark and some White-tail antler for tip overlays.  At least I think those are the material...it's an evolving project.

Until later...

Thanks~

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:43:56 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline osage outlaw

Re: HHB - Trade Bow (In Progress)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:46:04 pm »
Looking good.  HHB is some good wood.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:06:35 am »
Cool this is going to be a nice one! I look forward to seeing more :o
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:02 pm »
Ok, so here are a few more pics of the progress so far...

Got the Rawhide backing glued down (sorry, forgot to snap pics of that part of the build) and then waited a week for it to fully cure/dry.  Last night I got the Cherry bark glued down and unwrapped it and cleaned up the edges of it this morning.

Going to give the Bark backing a week to dry/cure as well and then onto the tillering tree and long string...thanks for looking.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:21:32 pm »
Man thats looking good! what species of cherry is that? The bark I get here I think is choke cherry and has more of a redish look once scraped and sanded, I really like the way yours looks! This is shapeing up to be a great bow! Keep up the good work

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:23:48 pm »
I love that cherry bark. I've made a few bows with it. You probably didn't need the rawhide as cherry bark is very strong on it's own but it will be extra strong now!
  Josh, on the first cherry bark backed bow I built I cleaned up the bark to show of the beautiful coppery colored surface. The ones since I left all the lichens and moss on and just sealed over it. Makes a great camo effect.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:27:18 pm »
I love that cherry bark. I've made a few bows with it. You probably didn't need the rawhide as cherry bark is very strong on it's own but it will be extra strong now!
  Josh, on the first cherry bark backed bow I built I cleaned up the bark to show of the beautiful coppery colored surface. The ones since I left all the lichens and moss on and just sealed over it. Makes a great camo effect.

Cool I will have to try that! Have you had problems with the moss and stuff coming off and leaving spots of the back un sealed? I am guessing you just seal the back very well so it cant?

Josh

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 06:45:25 pm »
Around here this stuff is called Wild Cherry or Black Cherry...I was hoping to find some of the ornamental species like the Birch Bark Cherry (really dark burgundy colored) or Chinese Cherry but I have already walked every stitch of woods that I have access too and really couldn't hope to find a mature ornamental just growing in the middle of no where so I "settled" on our local variety (and I SOOOOO hate settling) anyway, I will keep my eyes peeled for such a Cherry in the future and then maybe I will be satisfied with myself.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »
Lee, that looks like the correct type of cherry. Did it peel around the trunk or up the trunk?
 Josh, I just added Tru-Oil just like on and other bow but I did put it down a little heavier. So far no problem with it coming off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 06:59:39 pm »
Thanks pat

Lee regardless what kind of cherry it is it looks great! I think the stuff you are talking about real dark burgandy is what I have. I have in up to 18" long if you want I could ship some to you so you can find that satisfaction with your self ;D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:37 pm »
Thanks Pat, this bark came off "around" the tree vs. vertically...I located this small stand of Cherry along a sandy spring creek and this particular tree was all dead standing with the exception of one lone branch which must have kept is alive during the year.  I am not sure how harmful the removing of this type of bark would be to a perfectly healthy tree but I felt better taking these strips from this one.  I suppose the tree would live ok assuming no disease affected it until it could start to repair the scar (not unlike a Cottontail girdling all the small saplings in our area during the winter months)

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 07:08:24 pm »
Stripping the bark will usually kill the tree. The cambium between the bark and wood is the only living portion of the trunk. Striping the bark exposes the cambium and dries it out. I think most folks that collect cherry basrk get it from dead trees. Easier to get and no damaging to a living tree.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:10:09 pm »
Thanks pat

Lee regardless what kind of cherry it is it looks great! I think the stuff you are talking about real dark burgandy is what I have. I have in up to 18" long if you want I could ship some to you so you can find that satisfaction with your self ;D

Oh boy, it's not very nice to tempt me like that Josh...LOL!  It would look pretty dang nice against the contrast of some Osage though huh?  Anything in the lower MI area that you would want that I might be able to send you for a swap?

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:41 pm »
Thanks pat

Oh boy, it's not very nice to tempt me like that Josh...LOL!  It would look pretty dang nice against the contrast of some Osage though huh?  Anything in the lower MI area that you would want that I might be able to send you for a swap?

dont worry about it I will let you know when I send it out I have your address still from the bow trade address list, if I cant find your address I will PM ya ;)

Josh

Offline DEllis

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »
That cherry bark is nice looking stuff. Good work so far.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!