Author Topic: Canvas for quivers?  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Kegan

Canvas for quivers?
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:02 pm »
Walmart has sheets of light canvas for cheap. It's for covering furniture or what not while painting, but my brother says it's tough stuff. Which got me thinking.

How would it work for a Plains style quiver? Would broadheads snag? It's about the cheapest material I can find and I'd like to try a Plains style quiver without spending a lot or making something fancy I might not like later. Dunno if it'd be a waste of time or not though.

Experience? Thoughts? Warnings? Suggestions?

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Canvas for quivers?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
They have an item called 'wonder under' that you use to fuse 2 materials together. I would double it up with that. It will make it more durable and stiffer.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »
I was thinking about making it multi-ply. I was just going to sew it. I have to look into that Wonder Under though, thanks.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 11:12:26 pm »
Hey Kegan, I assume you heard from Jon Houk( Straightarrow) He lives like ten minutes from you. I was there this weekend and I accidentally left some leather there. More than enough to make a good quiver. Talk to him.I don't need it. If he says you can have it, take it!!!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 11:29:10 pm »
I know Harbour Freight has really cheap leather aprons and they are pretty large. Just havent been in there when I had any money.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 02:22:49 am »
The canvas should work fine. If you can bond two peices together that would give you better body for a quiver. You can also paint a design with acrylic paint and that would stiffen it some too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:51:48 am »
Thanks everyone! I think I'll give it a try then. Hickory Bill, that's so kind of you! Primitive archer, home of the nicest people on earth :).

I'll have to try some of the canvas out to get a good pattern. It'd be nice to see how well a low-price quiver works too.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
Hey glad I could help out!!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania