Author Topic: Some pics from wood huntin... (pic heavy)  (Read 3520 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Some pics from wood huntin... (pic heavy)
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »
Well here is something I have no idea what it is, didn't see it over in the id thread... Just some shaggy bark, didn't get any twig pics on any of these. Just kinda curious if these look like anything that might make a good bow just from what the bark looks like...

Here is somethin wierd lookin to me. Don't know what it could be.

I'm pretty sure this is kork elm. I haven't tryed it yet.

Some silver maple. (I believe). I got a piece of this yesterday, just cause the bark was coming off easy, figured I give it a try before I found out it was so chrysal prone and brittle.

Here is somethin I have been wondering for a while, which is what exactly is wrong with these mulberrys? Anybody else ever seen this?

Part of My mulberry row. These are the small younger trees. The bigger ones are huge. It's really hard to find a piece of good stuff, stuff is almost worse than osage, with all the pinknots, plus there are termites, wierd stains, exc.

And then there is this forest of purely sapplings, all perfect diameter for a sappling bow. :) Some silver maple, some box elder, but mostly this huge infestation of this very very straight growing, like a freaking pole straight, trees that have this willowish looking leaf. Theres so many of them it's not even funny. I got some last year but it checked really bad by the knots that were on it, and I ended up not using it. There is so many on them though. :) You probably can't see em very good cause my camera (and photography) suck.

Got me a piece of some of that mulberry, I don't know how it is gonna turn out. When is so much reflex too much reflex?

Heres the deflexed pieces, I could split it some and make some hardwood shafts, I just don't think I will though. Other than than and firewood, won't got too much use out of this guy.

Purdy.... :) Alright, my camera batteries are dead now.

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Matt S.

Re: Some pics from wood huntin... (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »
That first tree with the shaggy bark kind of looks like a young shagbark hickory. We had lots of those in northern IN where I grew up.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 07:39:12 pm »
"That first tree with the shaggy bark kind of looks like a young shagbark hickory. We had lots of those in northern IN where I grew up."

Ha, that would be nice. I know where there is some real nice perfect size trees like these. They grow real straight up without much or any curve or twist. I'm located in southwestern ohio so I don't know if we got hickory or not.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »
Ohio isn't too far from southern Ontario.  This guy has a bark and bud identification guide for many, many trees.  Has latin and common names.  You do need to start with a basic idea of what something could be though.

http://www.portraitoftheearth.com/trees/specieslist.html

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:14:16 pm »
Thanks dauntless, very helpful! His site indicates that the shagbark hickory has smooth bark as a sappling, which gets shaggy as it matures. These shaggy bark trees are just sapplings, so they might not be hickory. I hope so though.

Offline SA

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:26 pm »
that piece w/deflex might make a nice r/d bow?
Shawn Acker

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »
Hard for me to tell for sure ,Thought I saw some cotton wood (Junk)
Mullberry bleeds easy so not necessarily a problem
Cut some of the nasty mullberry down now because the suckers that come up from the stumps will be the sapling bows your looking for and they grow fast with all that root system to feed them
Yes there are hickory's in your area so keep looking
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »
"that piece w/deflex might make a nice r/d bow?"

I should of said theres actually some holes and branch knots right in the middle, really no way to get nothin out of it. One thing I didn't think of in I could get lots and lots of heartwood nock overlays if I wanted.

I found some trees that look like the shaggy bark of a shagbark hickory, and are very straight with very little twist. I will get some pictures up or probably a video so yall can see what I am talking about probably tomorrow.