Author Topic: What else can you ask from a bowwood ?? (full draw pics)  (Read 23886 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: What else can you ask from a bowwood ??
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 09:28:08 pm »
Full draw ( and better picture of overlay)   once i find a volunter
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Newbowyer

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2007, 09:41:37 pm »
I have searched everywhere for it. I cannot find any Ipe anywhere. Gah. Anyone know of a place to get in Michigan?

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: What else can you ask from a bowwood ?? (pics)
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2007, 10:25:39 pm »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2007, 10:26:47 pm »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Rich Saffold

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 02:53:55 am »
 ;D Looks great (naturally) Manny!  Beautiful overlays too. I hope you bag some hogs with it!

Rich

Offline StanM

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2007, 03:33:42 am »
Thanks for the pics, Manny.  Wow, that doesn't take much wood does it?  Look forward to seeing this thing at full draw.  Love the bows that you do, my man.  I know that smaller tips make for better performing bows, but I just can't bring myself to skinny them down to the level that you do.  Did I say that I really like looking at your bows?  ;D

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2007, 10:54:12 am »
I have searched everywhere for it. I cannot find any Ipe anywhere. Gah. Anyone know of a place to get in Michigan?
Where I live, you can buy Ipe whereever decking and hardwood flooring is sold.  I have a brother-in-law that built an entire deck out of Ipe...very expensive deck.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Gordon

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2007, 11:04:33 am »
That dime in the picture sure puts things in perspective. Those needle tips that you make are simply amazing!
Gordon

tpoof

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2007, 11:46:46 am »
Poke an eye out with those tips!   ;D ;D ;D

brokennock

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2007, 10:57:05 am »
??? Anyone else have trouble with overheating their saw when cutting Ipe? Due to the woods density I find that when making long cuts, like for limb width, the blade and motor seemed to heat up real fast.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 11:15:36 am »
Brokennock, you will have that problem from time to time.  There are many woods that will cause the same probelm. You need to cut real slow. Don't try to force the wood into the saw. The owner of a local cabinet tool and wood supply told me to use a diamond abrasive blade for Ipe and Purpleheart. But of course that was right before he told me, "you don't work the wood, it works you."  ;)  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2007, 12:35:23 pm »
I used to buy expensive blades for my saw but now pay about $8.00 for them, when they start to dull I change them, not pushing the wood any faster than the saw will take without bogging down and keeping a sharp fresh blade in the say goes along way, Also make sure you saw is tuned properly, thats very important with bandsaws, Steve

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 05:52:19 am »
I've being shooting this bow a lot the last 2 weeks, and can't belive it's maintaining the profile after I decapitated it :D , yep IPE is a great wood

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 05:54:23 am »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Rich Saffold

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2007, 12:48:02 pm »
Ya I think something catastrophic will have to happen to affect that bow. That bow is a great fit now. I have made a couple similar bows lately and it never ceases to amaze me how so little wood makes such a fast bow.

Did you find a new pad yet?

Rich-misses the Islands