Author Topic: Proper handle design for a D bow  (Read 23427 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Proper handle design for a D bow
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 05:49:55 am »
The thing I have a problem with when the string lays off to the side a little is arm slap. :) :
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 06:54:16 am »
Wasn't there an article in PA about building your bow with offset limbs purposely
to reduce archers paradox? I know I saw it somewhere anyhow.
Thanks for the good info all.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 07:47:08 am »
Seems like every D-bow I've made that the string didn't track down the center of the handle wound up developing a lot of limb twist after awhile.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 10:05:34 am »
                                 I craft all my D-bows (thats all I make) so string tracks down center of handle. Dave Kissinger wrote article in ole' PA about offcenter string.  I Dont buy into it >:(..............bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 10:13:24 am »
If you use single side nocks on opposite sides of the bow it doesn't matter if there is a slight twist. the string will track across the handle. It is a good way to eliminate a slight twist without removing wood or heating to correct.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 10:47:47 am »
Torges also weighed in on the off-center aspect, his opinion was similar to Pat's.  I persoanlly haven't seen where a bow that tracked a little to one side, ever broke or deteriorated at a rate in excess of normal.  Maybe if you shot one bow every day, all day for years.

I don't lay out a bow to purposely get a string to trak closer to one side.  But it seems that as often as not, this is the way they turn out.  Gary Davis recommends making same-length limbs for this reason, so that you can orient your bow for center-shot after the tillering is done.  It might not be quite as professional to do it this way, but it is certainly a practical way to go about it.

Guess I'm just naturally slightly warped.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 11:08:43 am »
Pat what in tarnation are single side nocks?
I better start rereading the bibles again.

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 12:04:41 pm »
  It might not be quite as professional to do it this way, but it is certainly a practical way to go about it.

Who determines what is professional.  I say if it works for you, DO IT. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 12:09:50 pm »
   paradox is much more prevalent on the one that is off center :o???? Brian
I imagine that if the bow tracks off to the side, it could be even farther off to the side at full draw.  If it throws the back of the arrow toward the other side of the bow, it would make the paradox worse.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 12:54:18 pm »
Dana, On some of the Cherokee(and probably others) hunting and war bows only 1 notch was cut on one side of the limb tip and the same on the opposite side of the other limb tip. This will automatically bring the string across the handle. ;)
   I made an osage Cherokee style hunting bow this way that I gave to Hillbilly's son for his birthday while we were at the Tenn Classic. That bow had a slight prop twist so I added the side nocks so they would straighten the limb as the bow was pulled. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 01:17:21 pm »
Thanks Pat I get it now and makes perfect sense.

Manistique, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 03:07:52 pm »
That makes sense to me Justin
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 05:15:58 pm »
Two separate issues here. I don't care if the string tracks down the center. If it doesn't I shoot it on the other side. The string slap is awful on those bows that's why I flip them around. I would not intentionally tiller a bow like that. I leave the handle full width and nocks full width and shape the handle accordingly. Nocks can be cut deeper on the offending side to track the string better. I make sure the limb removal is equal on each side of the limb. Sometimes that contributes to off center string tracking. Wood is funny. Last yew bow I made I was careful to remove wood evenly and the string still tracked way off still. The bow bends to the weak side so remove wood  from the other side. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jpitts

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 12:39:09 am »
George, I think what you're saying is to scrape the opposite side from the side the string is tracking to to bring it back in....
Side nocks are mentioned in Hardy's book, Longbow. If I remember correctly some of the Mary Rose bows had side nocks. Also remember reading where Hugh Soar has a few bows made by different bowyers that used side nocks too.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 01:27:31 am »
Jimmy, I believe the side nocks on the MR bows were for tillering purposes. After the tillering was done, horn nocks where fitted. I'm sure others must have used side nocks.
  After building a few bows with side nocks I appreciate their simplicity and practicality.     Pat