Author Topic: Flint Run  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Tower

Flint Run
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:04:49 pm »
I had a little time last week after Alibates Monument & Palo Duro canyon. Decided to  hit a couple of spots & see if I could score some flint. The light flint came from the Llano river & the darker came from the Colorado river. Ya gotta love the Texas hill country. It's gotta be one of the largest regions for flint(chert) that I know of.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Flint Run
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »
Awesome!  8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:30:12 pm »
drooling  :)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:38:11 pm »
Hey Tower - that looks familiar! Kinda like the back of my truck everytime i get thata way ;D. Nice haul man!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:26:45 pm »
Thanks Cowboy I used to do it every 3 or 4 weeks but now it's about 2 or3 times a year.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:33:39 pm »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 02:20:49 am »
Tower: I still do that every chance I get. Lord, i must be a rock hound or something. i have mounds of rocks all over this place - more than i'll ever knap most llikely. I seem to get more joy out of splunkin and gathering than i do knapping. Need to get out there with you sometime :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 10:09:06 am »
I know what you mean Cowboy I have about 1.5  or more tons of rock . I still need to get more. I like finding stones worked on by the ancients when I go shopping. Will let you know when I'm back up in the hill country, maybe we can meet up.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:53:35 pm »
10-4 sounds good. I'll be closer to the Black hills than the TX hill country for awhile. but ya just never know..