Author Topic: "Summer Stalker"  (Read 10436 times)

Offline Kegan

"Summer Stalker"
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:36:11 pm »
Well, here it is- the short little sinew backed red oak I had brought up in "Gluing Sinew". It is 55" tip to tip, 54" ntn, with a slightly bendy handle. It draws about 47# at 26# wtih absolutley no perceivable stack. It is 2" wide to mid limb, tapering to 3/8" pin nocks. It draws very smooth and shoots like a dream! It is dead accurate and completely quiet. I attacked three layers of back sinew with Titebond II and heat treated the bell- giving it all a nice color under the boiled linseed finnish. I plan on using it this summer for crows and groundhogs, and deer, turkey, and small gsame this fall. I'll post pics of the arows i made for it on the Arrows forum.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: "Summer Stalker"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 02:46:46 pm »
Thats a sweet lookin little shooter Kegan, good job.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »
Nice little shorty, Kegan.  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tarsus

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:15:41 pm »
Good looking bow Kegan!  What do you mean by Heat Treated the Bell?   ???  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

tpoof

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:57:11 pm »
Very nice Kegan! She sure can take a good bend.. ;)  Looks like a rugged little hunting bow! Nice two fletch arrows also.. ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 04:55:06 pm »
She looks good Kegan.  Let us know how you like the TB II and sinew a little farther down the road. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:52:11 pm »
Good looking little bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »
The Sioux in this state (Montana,1870) would have great success hunting bison from horseback with this great killer. Really primitive which is what this site is all about. Got you bookmarked for May Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 03:33:24 am »
i like it a lot.  just out of curiosity, is it the picture or is there a slight stiff spot in the upper mid-limb? 

really cool set with those arrows.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 03:36:09 am by Dustybaer »

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 11:47:47 am »
Might be a flat spot today, tomorrow it might be gone.  Thats sinew for ya.  And it really doesn't have to be perfect, sinew will hodla  bow together nicely.

I like the bow, very round tiller and very primitive.  My word of caution, is be careful about using a real abrupt cut-in to the handle on a bendy handle bow like that.  I've had them split at the beginning of the wide part of the limb, running into the limb.  If you are making a bow with fades, you don't want the bow beinding into the fades.  The bend should stop at the start of the fades.

Cool bow, it'll get better with age too.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 01:14:25 pm »
Cool bow,I'm with lennie on the bendy handle and fades but it seemed to work on that one.
May be the sinew.Nice job and real primitive looking. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 01:32:39 pm »
So for a bendy handle "D" type bow no cut-ins to narrow the handle?
This could be tough with white woods where ya might need 2" limb width.
Please explain further if ya would.
Thanks

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 01:38:57 pm »
Dana, Just my thoughts on the matter...With a bendy handle bow if the handle area is cut out it leaves unprotected edge grain that could splinter at full draw. One remedy would be to wrap at the top and bottom of the cut outs with sinew or thread to support this area.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 01:44:32 pm »
Reason I ask is I had one blow on me last night it was a glue up in Perry reflex maple backed ash and I had cut in on the handle area about 0.25"
on each side, It was still on the long string when she split on me from the cut out up to towards the tip. It was a very bendy handle.
It was a first attempt live and learn eh.
If ya kept the cut in gradual would that help? Like over a couple inches long.

Dana

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 01:45:47 pm »
Never seen a D style bow 2 in. wide.My rule is I don't want them to bend in the fades,I have had several split up at the wide part where you violated the longitudinal grain.So now I mesure out anywhere from 1/2 to 1 in. from the fades and make sure they don't bend up that far. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good