Author Topic: Step by step tutorial on making a bow from a stave  (Read 3333 times)

Offline chriss880

Step by step tutorial on making a bow from a stave
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:56:28 am »
hi guys ive made a bunch of bows from natural limbs and stuff but now i really want to make one from a stave i want a tutorial that isnt too complicated but i still want it too look goods.and also when you cut the stave are they supposed to be green or already seasoned?. and one more thing when you get the stave how are you supposed to shape it? with flat edge knife? thanks for everything.

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Step by step tutorial on making a bow from a stave
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:18:39 am »
   Make it the same way you make it from limb bows. It you cut down a tree its green same as your limbs when you cut them. Paint the ends. Depending on type of wood to how long it takes to season. You can cut it down to simi bow form and put it in a hot box but seal the whole bow before you put it in. This will cut the drying time a lot again depending on the wood type. But be careful if it's cut down to small or dryed to fast some woods will stwist. I use only a draw knike and a rasp on all bows if it's a really big stave I may use a hatachet some.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:27 am »
If you are looking for a good step by step video on making a bow from a stave, check out Gary Davis' video "Rattlestick".  It is for sale at 3rivers.com.  I really wish I had that video when I started out.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:55 am »
There are buildalongs on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:59:51 pm »
If you are looking for a good step by step video on making a bow from a stave, check out Gary Davis' video "Rattlestick".  It is for sale at 3rivers.com.  I really wish I had that video when I started out.

I've watched this video over and over again... I learn something new from it every time. It's a good video for even more experienced bowyers.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 05:06:37 pm »
I did a tutorial on my site, www.economicalarchery.webs.com. Hopefully it can help some.

Offline jwillis

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »