Author Topic: tillering string problem  (Read 3645 times)

Offline DiGi

tillering string problem
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »
How do I make one? I know it has to be slack on my bow (or is it still a stave?) but I can't find how to make one.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: tillering string problem
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:27:48 pm »
I just twist a REALLY long one loop end bow string. then tie an bowline knot it the other end depending on the length of the bow I am working on.

I saw an interesting concept when I visited Kerry B a month ago. He does not use a long string. He uses an old bow press to hold the limb ends and uses a clamp to compress at the handle. I am going to convert my old compound bow press and make something like that.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:38:38 pm »
I just use a piece of parachute cord with a bowline loop tied in each end for the long string. Then a single loop string with a timber hitch for the rest of the tillering process.
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline DiGi

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:41:56 pm »
But how do I make the loops and hitches?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55:42 pm »
There is lots of info on the web about making Flemish twist strings. Maybe even some in our "How To" section. I use para cord with slip knots for my long string. Make it just longer than the bow. After that I use a Flemish twist string with one loop and a bowyers knot(timber hitch). This string can be used on any length bow by moving the timber hitck.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DiGi

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:02:36 pm »
I've looked in the How-To's and couldn't find anything with detail. What is a parachute cord? So there has to be 2 tillering stings? one for up to 8in then from then on the short one?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 04:15:01 pm »
"I just use a piece of parachute cord with a bowline loop tied in each end for the long string."

Same here. 500# breaking strength is like 5 bucks at places like walmart or lowes or even places like biglots. You want to make it as short as possible without having to actually brace the bow, too long and you will ruin your bow you are tillering. You also want to use the long string as least as possible. Just enough to not have any kinks or hinges. The second it looks braceable brace it on up and go from there.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline DiGi

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 04:21:55 pm »
"I just use a piece of parachute cord with a bowline loop tied in each end for the long string."

Same here. 500# breaking strength is like 5 bucks at places like walmart or lowes or even places like biglots.
What is parachute cord called at those retail stores? I'm looking at their websites and I can't find it.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 05:12:49 pm »
I have never seen it at my walmart. found this on Amazon.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline DiGi

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »
So I can't use the B50 dacron that I'm going to use for the actual string? There is no way that I can use the flemish twist and the bowyers knot with that?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 06:26:12 pm »
All a tillering string is a string long enough to reach from tip to tip without stressing the bow. You can use the same string as your bow string later if you make it out of bow string material. Any other string or cord can be used for a tiller string if it is strong enough.
  I make my tiller string and my bow strings with a twisted loop  and a bowyers knot.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:28:37 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DiGi

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »
Oh, that seems a lot easier. I'll do that. Thanks

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »
I use hardware store sash cord for the long string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!