Author Topic: heat treatment  (Read 1916 times)

Offline juan lopez

heat treatment
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »
hello to all friends, my name is john and I am Spanish and I live in Venezuela, I love the primitive archery and hunting, I want to heat treatment to my longbow, and wanted to know whether to put olive oil from time to time, to avoid drying out the wood, I think you do so, please help and thank you very much

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: heat treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:06:24 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23338.0.html This is very informative give it a read, I use spruce resin after heat treating a section as shown in this video by the master of heat treating ;D And welcome aboard good to have you

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline juan lopez

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:17:12 pm »
Thanks Josh, in Venezuela is not got fir, will try with olive oil, a hug friend

Cacatch

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 05:43:28 pm »
Juan, yes, if olive oil is what you have, then use it.  What wood is your longbow made from?

CP

Offline juan lopez

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:54:15 pm »
cacatch thank you very much, the name given to see that wood is not the scientific name

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:04:32 pm »
Marc St Louis suggest using spruce pitch with terpentine when heat treating the belly top increase compression strength. The pitch/terps mixture is drawn into the wood by the heat and theoretically replaces the moisture that is driven out by the heat treatment. I tried this with pine pitch dissolved in terpentine and it seemed to work well. I'll use it again.
  When I'm using heat to straighten or bend wood(electric heat gun) I use olive oil to prevent scorching the wood, help the heat hold in the wood and help the wood heat evenly.
 These two methods are for two different opperations with different results expected.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC