Author Topic: It never ceases to amaze me...  (Read 4046 times)

Offline NTD

It never ceases to amaze me...
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:51:04 am »
The type of people that are on this forum.  Bevan had PM'd me some info about building work benches after reading my shop cleaning thread.  After a few exchanges he asked for my address and said he had something that was taking up space in his shop.  I got home today to find this!!!  I was and am truly dumbfounded by his generosity.  I now really need to get a bench built so I can put this baby to use.  Thanks Bevan!

Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: It never ceases to amaze me...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:56:57 am »
Sweeet!  And you'd think the way he's always trying to chisel a free bow outa me that he's poor as a churchmouse!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 01:22:39 am »
nice 8)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:08:00 am »
Nice bench vise. I'm never surprised anymore. I knowhow generous our gang is!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:26:13 am »
Thats great! Post up a pic when you get it set up!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline ohma

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:42:41 pm »
a guy that couldnt use that must be out of wood. great gesture
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 09:17:31 pm »
Thats cool! I agree the people on this site are great! I also think stick bow builders in general are more giving than most as well. I was at John Strunks a couple days ago and told him I needed to get a bench press he reached under his work bench and gave me a bran new Stave Press  :o said he never used it. I told him I would work it off with yard work or something while he was at the bowyers safari ;D this summer
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:47:55 pm »
That is super cool!  I was doing some digging on the web for serious bench plans like the type that vise accommodates but then I started to do the math on what the wood would run me I decided that it could wait a year or two or at least until I have a few bows under my belt  ;D

I'd love to see the bench also when you get it set up.

This group really does rock...

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »
Here's the bench plans that I'm going to do.  Well it'll be similar to these.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/03/04/tom-s-torsion-box-workbench.aspx
Nate Danforth

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01:20 pm »
Here's the bench plans that I'm going to do.  Well it'll be similar to these.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/03/04/tom-s-torsion-box-workbench.aspx

Excellent link, thanks a ton!  Seems much more affordable than some of the hardwood block topped type I was finding.  Much appreciated!

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:11:50 pm »
Lee,

Here a picture of my first bench. It cost less than $100. Very solid.

Also here is the reason there is no room for the vice I gave Nathen. I have 2 of these that are going onto the third bench.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 11:20:42 pm »
That looks pretty dang sturdy as well Bevan.  I am currently using some cheap steel slot & knob bench I picked up at Menard's back when I was building AR-15's.  It has a typical bench vise on it but the whole things rocks, shakes and shimmies everything onto the floor when I do an work with the drawknife or rasps.  Do those style of vise work pretty well?  Thanks again for the pics...very cool.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 12:58:41 am »
Bevan,
So you sent me the purty brand new one and kept the rusted up oldie for yourself huh?   ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 01:24:00 am »
Nathen,
I could not afford to pay the shipping on these 'old' vices. they are stout. They have been in the garage collecting dust waiting for the new shop.
I inherited a matched set from my father. He got them from the local school when they 'upgraded' their shop.
Going to put them on a shorter version of the bench so I can clamp longer stock edgewise.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline NTD

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 01:31:57 am »
Nathen,
I could not afford to pay the shipping on these 'old' vices. they are stout. They have been in the garage collecting dust waiting for the new shop.
I inherited a matched set from my father. He got them from the local school when they 'upgraded' their shop.
Going to put them on a shorter version of the bench so I can clamp longer stock edgewise.

Bevan R

I'm just teasing you Bevan, You are too generous!
Nate Danforth