Author Topic: Heat and Ipe (pic added)  (Read 5440 times)

Offline NTD

Heat and Ipe (pic added)
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:24:53 am »
I have a pre tapered slat of ipe that developed some substantial twist while in storage.  I decided to try to correct it with some heat.  I clamped it to another board and gave it some light heating.  Almost immediatly the wood started sweating a black tar like substance.  It's pretty incredible.  Has anyone else seen something like this?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:43:09 am by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Heat and Ipe
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:28:21 am »
No, but I don't think I've ever heated ipe with a heat gun.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:36:18 am »
Yes.  You don't want to heat Ipe too much, it doesn't like it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 12:38:23 am »
Marc,

I remember you saying something about that but the twist in this board was so much that I wasn't willing to make a bow with it as is.  I kept the gun moving pretty quickly, bout 10 seconds in a spot at a time.  Do you think that'll give me problems?
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Heat and Ipe (pic added)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:46:54 am »
  Yep' what Marc said. It will split and splinter. I have a nice piece that I want to try and bend, like a stave. I had a long pipe made that I can immerse the one whole limb in. I'm going to try and heat and/or boil if I have to, in vegetable oil.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:02:08 am »
I don't know this for a fact but I've heard that heat doesn't work with tropical woods(dry or wet) but some sort of a chemical treatment does. If it were me, I'd scrap that piece and find another.   Before you know it we'll have to wear hazmat suits to build bows.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:05:40 am »
I know it was a hail mary but figured I'd give it a try...... ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:26:37 am »
glad for this post i have considered heating it . Nate that tar might be what makes it water and bug resistant

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:34:54 am »
Nate, the ipe I built last year didn't have the same result. I built in some re curves and used a good bit of heat on them, Nothing showed up like that!

But....on my recent persimmon bow I had a bunch of those dots show up. I figured it was sap that rose to the top? Looked like fly crap.

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 01:35:10 am »
glad for this post i have considered heating it . Nate that tar might be what makes it water and bug resistant

That's likely Ken, my wife also said it's probably what makes people sick too... :-\
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:23:47 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »
I heated a piece of jatoba once and it proved fatal. Made it like rubber almost, craziest thing I ever seen. From everything I've been told or experienced heat is a no-no on tropical wood.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 01:47:30 pm »
There are some tropicals that bend with dry heat.  Pernambuco (used for making violin bows) does and so does Satinwood.  Bubinga, Brazilian Rosewood and Ipe don't and a few others also
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 01:53:20 pm »
Nate, the ipe I built last year didn't have the same result. I built in some re curves and used a good bit of heat on them, Nothing showed up like that!

But....on my recent persimmon bow I had a bunch of those dots show up. I figured it was sap that rose to the top? Looked like fly crap.

That's interesting Tim.  I have a few scrap pieces from other ipe bows and such, I'm going to heat em up and see what happens. 

I don't think I hurt this piece of ipe.  The slat is now quite straight and I don't see any cracks, splinters, or checking.  I didn't let it get very hot, 10 seconds at a time, definitely wasn't "heat treating" it :D
Nate Danforth

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 02:30:35 pm »
I would let it set for a week or 2 before you do anything else to it. Just to let it rest and rehydrate.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 03:24:06 pm »
Ive actualy heated ipe quite a bit with no ill effects. It will heat bend ok as in like a slight gentle curve like reflexing a bow limb more sharp bends don't seem to work as well as other woods. Never had the black tar...
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....