Author Topic: Legal size?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Legal size?
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:42:53 pm »
Anyone know the legal size for broadheads/tradepoints in Florida??  I cant make heads or tails out of the fish and game website,its like reading plans for a space ship
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
Re: Legal size?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:10:10 pm »
It just says that a broadhead must have two sharpened edges and a width of 7/8'' . I didnt see anything particular about the broadhead being steel / stone/ bone.

check out http://myfwc.com/media/547567/2010-11_HuntingRegulations.pdf
Quebec, Canada

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »
There was a nice article in past PA's that covered all the state's broadhead requirements. It also said it other than steel was allowed. I will look in my old copies when I get home tonight.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »
might not be a bda idea to call your local DNR office
sometimes decisions on "what is legal" are left to the officer to decide

here in minesota the law is very clear
it state all broad heads must have ATLEAST 2 metal cutting edges,be of barb less design and atleast 7/8ths inches wide
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:27:53 pm »
Thanks guys,I would ask an officer but 2 years ago I had a pretty good argument at the boat ramp with one,,He said I had illegal black drum,when in fact he didnt know the difference between black drum and sheepshead,,,I dont have any confidence in any of them,,thats not the only story I have heard,,just one I experienced myself. I bookmarked that page de lard  thanks!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:59:41 pm »
There was a nice article in past PA's that covered all the state's broadhead requirements. It also said it other than steel was allowed. I will look in my old copies when I get home tonight.

Bevan R
Thanks,,I guess I should go ahead and get PA magizine!!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 12:05:09 am »
I guess I should go ahead and get PA magizine!!

Ya think? :D
I signed up for the onlive version this last time.

Bevan R

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 12:52:34 am »
 Rick, stone, wood, bone or steel is legal in Florida as long as it's 7/8" are larger. I've never had one measure my points, usually they try and talk me out of an arrow. Also no Reg's about barb's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 01:14:28 am »
Rick, stone, wood, bone or steel is legal in Florida as long as it's 7/8" are larger. I've never had one measure my points, usually they try and talk me out of an arrow. Also no Reg's about barb's.
Thanks Mullet  I hope to get after a critter this fall with all homemade gear!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 08:37:51 am »
Man I am glad I live in TN. I can't imagine an officer asking or caring. Most just look in amazement that I hunt and sometime kill things with that stuff. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 10:23:06 am »
Man I am glad I live in TN. I can't imagine an officer asking or caring. Most just look in amazement that I hunt and sometime kill things with that stuff. :)
   Pappy
Sometimes I wish I lived up there to! These so called officers around here have been getting really goofy the last few years,we are over run with retired Navy guys that get these jobs that think they are almighty compared to us rednecks,,No offense to retired Navy guys that realize they are civillians now

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 11:17:16 am »
I would be happy if we could just get a standard accross the country. In Nebraska it is not the width, it is the total cutting length. That one is hard to understand. We have to have 4" of cutting edge on a STEEL broadhead.
15 miles west into Wyoming, it is a 7/8" cutting width.

Sure would be nice it there was a STANDARD and that it included at least stone.

Bevan R

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 06:50:44 pm »
I understand the stone point but why would anyone be opposed to a 7/8th min? I use tuskers and they are like 1-1/2" I think. Im sorry to hear of anyone having a bad experience with their game commission. My local game commission are like wildlife wizards.  :D Im making arrows and I just got super glue on my pants. dang.   
Its only wood