Author Topic: Osage Sapwood  (Read 7136 times)

Trapper

Osage Sapwood
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:23:17 pm »
Ok Guys tell me why you cant use osage sapwood?      Trapper      P.S. this ought to be real good.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Osage Sapwood
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:51:01 pm »
              Who said ya can't ?..................bob

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:54:38 pm »
I use it regularly......to dull my drawknives! :D :D......Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 08:24:20 pm »
Here's a fine little osage bow that Pat made with a sapwood back. It looks even better in person, it's snappy and holds a good reflex.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1078.0.html
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Trapper

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:05:31 pm »
Well I was just wondering, because evryone I see, always says take the sapwood off first before you do anything.Ive made several limbows that was mostly sapwood and they seemed to work pretty good, and they are easier to induce reflex in to also, some of the time they will pull into a natural reflex, well I was hopeing somone had a good reason not too I guess, dad gum I cant get anyone to argue with me today.       Trapper 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 09:50:45 pm »
There's no reason to leave it on unless you have to on a small stave with not enough heartwood. I've had to leave it on some staves too. The closer you get to the heartwood the stronger the sapwood will be. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 12:27:20 am »
  I've made a few with sapwood left on. I'm working on one right now.  Years ago I made a small all sapwood flat bow and gave it to Lil Pat. That's how we met. I believe he still has that bow.
   Sorry Trapper. No fight tonight! ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Trapper

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 12:35:10 am »
Ok goodnight everybody. Trap

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 12:36:14 am »
Sweet Dreams! ::)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 05:30:47 pm »
OK Ill bite trapper.  I cant use sapwood on osage because all of the osage staves I have were taken down to the heartwood by the great guys that sent them to me.  Do you need a better reason.   ;D ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 06:22:59 pm »
I know one osage stave you have that wasn't taken down to a growth ring... ;D

Stave may be the wrong term, it was more like half a log! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 09:13:37 pm »
I know one osage stave you have that wasn't taken down to a growth ring... ;D

Stave may be the wrong term, it was more like half a log! ;)
No sapwood on that piece.  I had to split it off when I got home.  All that rain I drove through on the way home must have upped the MC.  It had been drying since 2005, but when I got home it started to check.  I got a few staves out of it. But I did loose a little good wood.  :'( Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 11:15:57 pm »
Good for you, Trapper, for challenging the status quo.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Trapper

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 01:02:06 am »
No Don, I wasnt trying to do that , it was just something that I always wondered, because you never see anyone post one or anything, I was just trying to see if anyone else used it much, I seem to look for things that aint there, or shood be there and aint. And another reason is I cut a runner off of a big osage tree that had fallen over in a ice storm 8 yrs. ago and this runner was about 4 in. at 8 yrs. old the growth rings are very thick in it, and I split it so I would get two good staves out of it and the limbs are gonna have some sapwood on them, the sapwood is about 3/4ths of a in. thick,  I will keep yall informed. Thanks for all the comments guys .  Maybe I will make it about half and half, there is only 7 rings in this shoot and its 4 and 1/2 in. at the base and four in. at the end and its 7 foot long and chalk line strait    Trapper

Mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »
Have made only one osage bow with a sapwood back,but it worked fine.Don't have any pics because I gave it to a Cherokee friend of mine at a pow wow a couplke years ago.Cool little bow though and pretty darn fast.