Author Topic: Need guidance making shafting  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Need guidance making shafting
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:06:49 am »
Got a bunch of nice Sourwood Shoots from ahawi stick. I am getting them scrapped so they will dry. After that I am in unknown territory as to how to procede. Any pointers on a tutorial or build-a-long?

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need guidance making shafting
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:19:00 am »
After you get them stripped you can wrap them together in a bundle to dry. Thats what I usually do. Once dry I use oil and our gas cook stove wto straighten out the major bends. After they cool i go for the minor bends and after those cool I size them. I have a story board with 3 different size holes, 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2". I use a thumb plane to reduce the point end to fir the 3/8" hole.
 After they are relatively straight I start at one end and heat the shaft again, this time with no oil. I like a bit of scorch as camo so I work the heat from one end out to the other scorching as I go. Be careful at the far end as the steam will scald you. After the tempering I lay them on a flat surface and let them rest until cool. You can finish making the arrow now but don't stress them or let them sit for a week to rehydrate. After that it is just like other shafting.
  While working with the thumb plane I check spine and if too high I use the thumb plane and sand paper to reduce the spine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 02:15:47 am »
Thanks Pat. Kind of the plan I was going to try. As far as a heat source, do you think a space heater would generate enough heat?

Bevan R

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:49:05 am »
It might but I think you could find a better option with more concentrated heat. If you have an electric cook stove that would work better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 03:14:56 pm »
Single burner hot plate? Just brainstorming.

Bevan R

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 04:46:42 pm »
That will do it as will a heat gun or propane torch...or fire! ;)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 12:03:33 am »
lil buddy heaters work nice too  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:36:02 am »
Here's some info. I wrote this a long time ago. Now that I am retired I ca unbundle the shafts frequently and hand straighten. I mostly don't need to heat straighten if I do that. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/shoots.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!