Author Topic: How Do You Set Your Knock Point?  (Read 26076 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: How Do You Set Your Knock Point?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 04:42:14 pm »
Thanks for that Pat, good to know
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 06:25:56 pm »
    All selfbows nock alittle above center. How much depends on the bow the arrow spine and the way you release. Mosty arrow spine. You just have to watch arrow flight untill you have the spot where the best arrow flight for your arrow spline. Then I've always used dental or sinew to make a bump on each side as well as sirving up the middle so my nocks a snug.
    I 'm with PAT I learned along time ago NEVER EVER not have your bow in your hand. We don't have heavy compounds to hold. Where we need a holder or sling.  When a shot dose present itself you have to take advange of it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline eflanders

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 09:07:05 pm »
I find this rather interesting.   When I shot my compound, I used tied-on nocks and a loop.  With my recurve and longbows, I shoot them with a brass nock and have the arrow rest underneath the pinched-on nock.   I never thought to use a tied-on nock for some reason... 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 10:47:48 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DEllis

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 02:22:02 am »
Ya I felt stupid asking but I would have felt more stupid if I sent out my trade bow and couldnt even tie a knock on the string in the correct place :o ;D kinda scarry lol
Josh, I'm not personally going to put a nock point on the bow I build for the trade. I feel that, because of slight differences in form and brace hight, the proper nocking point needs to be placed by the recipient. Also while on the topic, the brace height will probably need to be tuned from what I prefer by the new owner. I like about 5" to 5 1'4" from the handle to the string..........that'd slap the poo out of someones wrist if they have a slightly bigger hand or different shaped arm.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline aero86

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 03:03:59 am »
del, if you only have room between your two nocking points for one arrow, how do you shoot two arrows robin hood(kevin costner) style?

lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 04:52:59 am »
Ya I felt stupid asking but I would have felt more stupid if I sent out my trade bow and couldnt even tie a knock on the string in the correct place :o ;D kinda scarry lol
Josh, I'm not personally going to put a nock point on the bow I build for the trade. I feel that, because of slight differences in form and brace hight, the proper nocking point needs to be placed by the recipient. Also while on the topic, the brace height will probably need to be tuned from what I prefer by the new owner. I like about 5" to 5 1'4" from the handle to the string..........that'd slap the poo out of someones wrist if they have a slightly bigger hand or different shaped arm.
Darcy :)

Good point I will probably do the same  now that you bring up those good points. Thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 05:15:25 am »
del, if you only have room between your two nocking points for one arrow, how do you shoot two arrows robin hood(kevin costner) style?

lol
I just fetch the Chinese repeating crossbow ;D.
http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/Del_the_Cat/?action=view&current=repeater.mp4
I had to shoot pretty quick to get 'em all away before the end of the video  ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 12:19:18 pm »
I will sometimes shoot thru paper and try to get the arrow from flipping.  Other times, I will Broadhead tune to find the right place. 

If I start seeing the right place is below 90degrees, I know I got my tiller screwed up.
Westminster, MD