Author Topic: Old Osage fence posts?  (Read 6608 times)

Offline Will H

Old Osage fence posts?
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:02:57 am »
Has anyone ever made a bow from old fenceposts? I have 6 that are really old but in good shape made from quarter split Osage logs. I need some advice on how to treat the staves. Should I cut them to length and chase them down to one ring. Then seal the ends and let them dry? That was sorta my plan...Any thoughts? Ill post some pics tomorrow... :) :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline SA

Re: Old Osage fence posts?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 04:35:46 am »
ya, shellac the backs too.
Shawn Acker

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:14:05 am »
I've made lots of fencepost bows.  All of them I made up in Nebraska were great successes, and I still have some of that post left to splice up some more staves with.  My last attempt, my first in Texas, failed.  Here is the thread: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22983.0.html  (I had to edit the posts to put the pictures back in after changing picture servers.)

I have never sealed a fencepost back when I got it to a growth ring and have never had one crack.  But, all my fenceposts were VERY old.  If your post was lying on the ground it could still have some moisture in it.  It's never a bad idea to seal a bow back, but if your post was recently standing and old, it will be well seasoned, believe me.  I think old fenceposts, especially old corner posts, are the best bow wood there is.

Good luck with yours.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:04:05 pm »
Well I got a chance to grab a few more...worked em a bit. Heres some pics  :) :) :)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:33 pm »
....and more.... ;D
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:21:11 pm »
...and a few more.... :o Oh, and thanks for the inspirational link gstoneberg... Great thread! I think your right, this stuff is like buried gold!
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:27 pm »
Wow those look old ;D look forward to seeing what you get out of them

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:36 pm »
The farmer said close to 100ys old!  ;D ;D ;D
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:04 pm »
 :o
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Acutus

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 12:50:25 am »
WOW! Learn something new everyday! Never would have thought to make a bow out of an old fencepost. Really cool and look forward to seeing some. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 01:02:45 am »
Great find!  I'd bet every farm in osage country has a stack of them out behind the barn.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 03:03:41 am »
They're still cutting them and selling them by the pickup bed load down here.  They aren't used quite like they used to be.  Most of the posts now are primarily used as spacers between steel posts to keep the wire from sagging.  I've seen lots of fences with an osage post every foot or so with the bottom not even touching the ground.  Looks real good and lasts forever.  100 year old wood is HARD HARD HARD.  Keep the pictures coming, I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 10:25:27 am »
very cool! someone gave me an old fence post. split it the other day. man, that wood was incredibly dark all the way thru. and hard. one piece i believe will make a good bow. its not real long(sorry dont recall exactly) but nevertheless. beautiful! show some pic when ya start working on those bows please!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:04 pm »
    Just chase down to a ring no need to seal it. It's as dry as it's going to be.
  Long time ago had a friend in KS. pull out a corner post his grandady planted over 100 years before split 5 staves from it one did'nt make it. they  all made great bows. MY friend named the bow I make him old goldie.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Will H

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 11:00:43 pm »
Thanks for all the great info and support people! Ill post some pics when I start getting down to buisness... ;D
           Clarksville, Tennessee