Author Topic: WAMPANOAG bow, arrows info  (Read 2613 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

WAMPANOAG bow, arrows info
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:13:40 pm »
Hi. I will be working on an original sudbury bow replica, the only thing missing is the really authentic arrows and quiver. Does anyone have any information, leads, or museum pictures of wampanoag arrows and quivers. I also thought about detailed descriptions from pilgrims since they were the fisrt to encounter the wampanoags.
Thankyou
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: WAMPANOAG bow, arrows info
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:39:46 pm »
I've read that the Easter Woodland Tribes made arrows from shoots like willow and dogwood. I bet they used any straight shoots they could find and worked them into arrows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:44:30 pm »
The Sudbury bow is located in Harvard's Peabody Museum in Cambridge, MA which is not too far from me. I almost got to see it but viewing is by appointment only and I didn't know that. I haven't been back. I did get to see many other bow. They have quite a collection. I even saw what looked like board bows to me. They could have been made from any planking. I'm sure straight grained milling was the order of the day. There is shoot info on my site.  Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:32:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply George. Wish there was some arrows aswell. Do you know if rivercane was used that far north?
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY