Author Topic: sinew  (Read 2176 times)

Offline rkeltner

sinew
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:24 pm »
 i have been harvesting sinew from road kill deer. thus far i've gotten 3 pairs, and i have a question. today, the deer i got the tendons from had obviosly been out for longer than the others (something about the distinct aroma!), and i was wondering if this could be a problem for the integrity of the sinew once dried and separated? b y the way, i love the strange looks i get when walking down the shoulder of the highway, pulling on rubber gloves, then standing over the carcass of a road killed deer! people probably think i'm nuts!  ;D ::) >:D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: sinew
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:07:05 pm »
Sinew decays slowly.  You should be fine.  Dry it quickly, though.   ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:40 am »
If you are worried about bacteria you can wash the sinew first before you dry it or after you shread it. I usually wash sinew with Dawn dish soap before I back a bow with it to get any grease out of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:43:28 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I do the same thing (with the gloves)... except I raid the local deer processor's dumpster. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:35:02 am »
Be carefull removing parts from roadkill deer.  I asked our local conservation officer about it.  He said it was illegal to remove any part of a roadkill animal without a permit.  Even grabbing a handfull of turkey feathers is illegal.  You might want to check your states rules.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:39:45 pm »
Be carefull removing parts from roadkill deer.  I asked our local conservation officer about it.  He said it was illegal to remove any part of a roadkill animal without a permit.  Even grabbing a handfull of turkey feathers is illegal.  You might want to check your states rules.

considering we're both in indiana, i will take that to heart!