Author Topic: Static curve Yew (she didn't make it)  (Read 7568 times)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Static curve Yew
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 03:07:57 pm »
Pics Pics Pics ;D
I totally agree with Nate. proper bow etiquette says one musn't place the word"yew" in a title without said pics.   lol.  just giving some grief. look forward to the pictures. Eric
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 05:43:09 pm »
I know what you mean Eric, LOL. I'm just drawing in the crowd with curiosity first.

I'll get pics up this evening. I knew when I started this thread I was gonna get grief without pics but I just could resist. I did get them in my computer last night but have to town for a better internet signal. I live out in the sticks and all we got is dial up and it takes a week to upload a pic LOL seriously.

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 01:53:51 am »
Well hers some long awaited pics
The yew stave is on the right

Heres one on the caul

Heres one after flipping the tips I thought I had some pics of flipping the tips but I don't

Heres one on the tree before flipping the tips

Heres one on the tree after flipping the tips

I'm at stand still until my horn get here tomorrow or friday.

Stiks
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 01:59:09 am »
Can you estimate the draw weight now?   How much will the horn add? 
  Coming along nicely, Kris.  Don't bend it too much until you get both limbs bending evenly and together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 02:17:33 am »
there you go! pics.  coming along nicely. no adviceto give(Pat's way smarter than I) listen to him.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 02:24:06 am »
Pat right now I would say she's about 20# over target. I'm shooting for 55# at 28" I really have no idea how much the horn will add. I got the limbs moving evenly my picture taking is a little crooked.  I stopped work on it cause I notice the tips where starting to move a little and I want to get the horn on the belly of the tips so just guessing by how much the tips where moving I think it will add maybe 5 to 8 lbs.

How much weight can expect to gain with choke cherry bark on the back. I was gonna ask you that the other day when  we talked but forgot. Hopefully I will have this at the classic. Really looking forward to that.
 Yeah Eric pat knows his stuff. I bought this stave about a year ago and Pat's bow building is what inspired me to build this Static curve, Matter of fact the Cherry bark came from Pat
 Stiks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:35:47 am by Stiks-N-Strings »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 02:31:57 am »
I'm guessing a couple of pounds. I never measured. Keenan might have a better idea.  Are you using the horn on the working belly of underlays for the curves? I think you told me but the snot is blocking my brain!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 02:39:16 am »
Pat now That I look at my crooked pic your right. The right limb looks a little stiff over all. The horn is going on the belly of the curve to stiffen it. The curves started to move on me a little so I stopped scraping. it needed to rehydrate some anyway.

Stiks

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 09:35:10 am »
Looking good,a little work on the right lime and you should be good. Are you putting horn strips
under the belly ? or horn nocks ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 04:36:43 pm »
Pappy I'm doing horn tip overlays and about 6.5" of horn underlays to stiffen up the tips so they don't move any. Matter of fact while in the middle of posting this the mail lady showed up. Be right back.

WOOO HOOOO! my horn is here. Back to work on it. Got some srious work to do on this horn to get it ready. This horn I got is awsome I will be buying from that guy again. he's on e-bay and has great prices on horns of all kind. I'll get some pics of the hornin up in a few days.

Kris

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 05:56:47 pm »
Got some horn put on the belly of the curves so after it dries back to the tillering tree! I'm gonna go for around 55# at 28". Left my horn natural and thinned it from the back side to give a little more eye appeal.

I know I need to get some more pics, LOL

Stiks

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

Re: Static curve Yew (she didn't make it)
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »
Had her pulling about 2" from final tiller and was right on for target weight. I was exercising her out to that last bit of draw and POW! She blew about 9" from the tip. Looked like the belly folded and she just snapped. Best I can figure is she got brittle from heating. I had to heat her about 4 times to get some twist out and reflex it.

Oh well, on to the next one  ;D

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »
sorry to hear that Kris, hope you can salvage the horn at least.  I'll let Jawge give his patented advise on bow breaks.  Eric.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 02:04:01 pm »
Man that sucks! she looked like she was going to be beautiful. Cant beat em all ;)
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »
Kris, leave your tips thick and wide and your handle full width and deep until you get her to first stringing at least. Also, I try to save all the prettying up until I've shot the bow a few times. No need to do the extra work if she ain't gonna make it.  ;)