Author Topic: Level 1 Bowyer  (Read 4977 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Level 1 Bowyer
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 10:23:53 am »
  I have one setting around here somewhere.
  I'm not sure about level 20 but I'm no bowyer. EVEN though I'm pushing 90 to 100 bows. I set a figered out as far as I can remember I've made bows out of 9 types of wood. Hickory #1 with Osage a close second. There just something about hickory bows. I've been told I just have a eye for things. Meaning I can look at something and see it before it's made or the way it's surpose to be. I can see the straight or curve lines that need to be there.   I'm no bowyer just someone that likes to make everything useing his own hands. And keep it simple guess thats why I like the primitive way of things.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:52 am »
  I have one setting around here somewhere.
  I'm not sure about level 20 but I'm no bowyer. EVEN though I'm pushing 90 to 100 bows. I set a figered out as far as I can remember I've made bows out of 9 types of wood. Hickory #1 with Osage a close second. There just something about hickory bows. I've been told I just have a eye for things. Meaning I can look at something and see it before it's made or the way it's surpose to be. I can see the straight or curve lines that need to be there.   I'm no bowyer just someone that likes to make everything useing his own hands. And keep it simple guess thats why I like the primitive way of things.

Not a bowyer???  How about an artist?  It's interesting to find that when it comes to a trade or skill the people who are fairly knew usually think they know more than they really do..."oh I'm an expert..." (generally speaking) and the people who have quite a bit of experience and truly know so much more tend to realize how much more there is to know and will be very hesitant to call themselves an expert.  I love it.  Humility seems to set in over time.  Or at least sometimes.  It does seem though that people on these forums are down to earth generous humble people that just love making bows so much they gotta share it!

I've heard that having an "eye" is very hard to teach if not impossible.  It's something you're born with....  A nice gift to have my friend.   Thanks for your comments.

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Postman

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 12:03:55 pm »
gotta figure out damage levels vs. poundage. my 56 lb osage long bow with a wensel woodsman does 2d10 at 20 yds.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:49 pm »
Is this basic D&D, AD&D, AD&D 2nd Edition (my favorite), 3rd Edition, 3.5?

I guess I'm a level 2 bowyer. Which dice do I roll for hit points, hopefully the 1d10 like a fighter ;D

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »
@ Del:  That picture is too funny.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 01:11:15 am »
gotta figure out damage levels vs. poundage. my 56 lb osage long bow with a wensel woodsman does 2d10 at 20 yds.

Hilarious!   Nice bow.  You could drop an ogre with that thing!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:16:45 am »
Is this basic D&D, AD&D, AD&D 2nd Edition (my favorite), 3rd Edition, 3.5?

I guess I'm a level 2 bowyer. Which dice do I roll for hit points, hopefully the 1d10 like a fighter ;D

2nd Edition of course!  First you have to role a saving throw to see if your bow breaks.  Bows made by Higher level Bowyers get automatic saves.... ;D

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 01:21:57 am »
Great.  You just challenged me to make a dozen arrows to complete my level 3 bowyer

Yeah....I think that one will be the tough one for me.  I'm almost wondering if I shouldn't have put that one in....I like making bows more than arrows... NOPE! Got to make arrows! I have to force myself.  MAKE ARROWS!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 01:34:26 am »
Me shooting invisible bow.
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cat-shoots-an-invisible-arrow.jpg
Del

Awesome bow.  You got the tiller spot on!  What did you use on the tips? Dog bone?  How many coats of finish did you need to give it that...transparent look?
Cool pic!