Author Topic: Short bow  (Read 3615 times)

Offline SiongSA

Short bow
« on: March 09, 2011, 02:33:14 pm »
Hey all,
me again, so after successfully (i think) making a longbow/flatbow i am now inevitably intersted in making a shortbow. I am particularly interested in making a Hupa indian style bow, in love the paddle function and the miniture but also effective design i find really interesting. I know that there is far more skill in tillering a shortbow like this relative to a flatbow but i think i'm up to the challenge, i'm gunna purchase a drawknife and vice asap. These are the specs i'm looking for 42" ntn 45-50lb @ 25" made of ash or mulberry, bend through the handle, wouldn't mind putting a bit of reflex in there. So anyone got a ideas for the dimensions? also any tips of this style?

Sion,
South africa

P.S which wood do you think would be best suited to this design, mulberry or ash?

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Short bow
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:01:03 pm »
   Your right when tillering the shorter the bow the more persice your has got to be. I'd use osage for your first short bow if possable the only wood I know can really take being made short with out sinew and last. Sinew also helps with short bows useing other woods. Plain indain bows were all sinewed. Dose anyone know of a tribe that used  really short bows that did'nt use sinew. What wood did they use and how short did they make them.
   Even eastern woodland tribes used bows in the high 40's to the high 50 range. Simpley more portable to use.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:35:22 pm »
where on earth could i get sinew in south africa?

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:36:56 pm »
also what about backing with hickory or white oak instead of sinew?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:49:36 pm »
You can make a short bow without a backing out of those woods you mentioned, just remember that you may have to shorten the draw length and arrow.  Will it be as effective as a bow that is sinew backed?  Not sure about that...
You are in S. Africa?  I'd have to imagine that there are all types of sinew for you to use is SA, but I can't know how available they are.  Are there game processors in your area?  Check with them to see if they have any available.  So you are planning on trying to use ash or mulberry lumber for this bow?  Are there any trees in the Juniper family where you are located?
What types of trees are growing in your area?
1’—>1’

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:23:49 pm »
no juniper, we have many but none you guys will know, mulberry and ash are the only staves i can readily get, but i can a variety of boards white/red oak, ash, cherry,maple,walnut, cypress etc

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 05:26:29 pm »

From the nearest 4 footed beast!  ;D ;D He won't like it much, but tell him how thankful you are then use a very persuasive pointed stick!!

Cacatch

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:29:20 pm »

What if you were able to get sinew from large animals like zebras or giraffes! That would be awesome, you'd only need 1 tendon from 1 leg of a giraffe to back a bow I bet. I'd look into those possibilities. You might be able to get in with park authorities and if an animal such as that is found dead or poached perhaps they would let you cut out tendons  :-\  Don't know, just dreaming a bit.

CP

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »
How about Ostrich?

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.