Author Topic: Cornstalk shooting  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Michael C.

Cornstalk shooting
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:32 am »
I don't know how many people have ever been to a traditional cornstalk shoot, but I try to at least make it to one a month, usually the Creek Nation cornstalk shoot. We usually start roughly 9 in the morning and shoot until about 1 or 4 pm depending on the weather. The way it works is you use a special cornstalk tip on your arrows and stand at opposing cornstalk stack targets that are about 4 x 4 in dimension and about 3 ft deep. The opposing targets are roughly 80 to 120 yards depending on what tribe you're shooting with and how they have their targets set up. If you hit the cornstalks your score depends on how many stalks your tip pierces and stays in. You shoot until someone scores 25 points or more. I know most of you aren't in Oklahoma but anyone who is in the Okmulgee, Tahlequah, Seminole, Ada or a few other areas is welcome to come out. Usually they have the shoots on a Saturday morning, it varies by tribe, we try to spread them out so we can support each others shoots and they always have a big lunch dinner.

couple of photos of last Saturdays shoot, the Creek Tribe in Okmulgee has their shoots the 1st Saturday of the month.

These are the tips used on the cornstalk arrows

The little red arrow is pointing at the opposing cornstalk stack target; can you see it?

This is Lonnie scoring a hit.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
Re: Cornstalk shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:51:52 am »
That is neat. I would love to see if there are any folks who do that around Portland.
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:13:21 pm »
I had read about that in Al Herrin's book. Kind of like the Middle Ages 'York' shoot.

Not to be non-pc michael, but what if you ain't in a tribe? Any NA blood in my family line has been diluted so far as to be non existant. Does that make me a 'corn stalk'?

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:15:52 pm »
Hah Bevan, no there are a lot of non natives that come. Anyone is welcome, some of the guys bring spare bows in case someone shows up. They even have a small winners purse.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:30:43 pm »
I would love to do something like that.  looks like you guys had alot of fun.  I think shooting longer distances is a bit more fun than 20-30yrds. the flight of the arrow is just awesome to watch. thankls for the pics Michael
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:38:32 pm »
Yet another reason  to visit Oklahoma. Thanks for the pictures.

Lane