Author Topic: The building process  (Read 7379 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: The building process
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »
For me it's the smile on a new bowyer's face when they make their bow bend the first time.  Or the determination on a kids face when they drive the wedge into an osage log and make it split.  Or maybe to see a grown man dance around when their first shot hits the target.  Helping people make bows and witnessing their joy is what trips my trigger.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »
it is the utter amazement, after spending countless hours working the stave into a bow coaxing it along to getting it to the full draw stage, when upon full draw you hear a loud crack and watch the upper limb go flying through the air in slow motion.....priceless     ;D

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »
I love every second of the whole process.  Just being in the shop listening to tunes, every trouble you have in the "real world" just disappears, and the whole time thinking about the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment you'll feel when you're done, if you can just keep the thing from blowing up in your face ;)  Constantly thinking about how you can out-do your last bow, how you can make it look better, shoot sweeter - the beauty of the craft is you will never know everything, and there's always a way to do better.  That's what does it for me!

Offline ohma

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »
its spliting the log and seeing whats in store for this one. just never know what you will find.some times the bark lies.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Grunt

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 04:09:07 pm »
The first six arrows,starting with the West then the North, the East, the South the Earth and the Sky.

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »
i find sanding, polishing and smoothing out almost meditative...

Offline artcher1

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 05:26:40 pm »
I wouldn't exactly call it a giddy feeling, but more a sense of triumph. Working with challenging staves (I seem to get more than my share), overcoming mistakes and hardships in general. Much like real life.........Art

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 05:43:11 pm »
First brace because that's when the piece of wood in my hand takes it's first real step to being a bow.
Gordon

Offline Timo

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:20 am »
As we mature in our bow building skills, also do we in what part seems to get us excited. I used to really look forward to finishing a bow and still do , but after many many bows, I have an idea as to how an individual bow should turn out,so it is less of an attraction.

But yesterday.......

I was sowing some clover seed for one of the farmers that I hunt on. Just running a 4 wheeler with a seeder on back. Watching along the edges for any good osage trees. I spied a couple and after all the seed was sown I took a look. Most was pretty limby with a few maybes. Then I walked on into a small  timbered draw and ...Holey moley did I get giddy. 

I Found two osage trees in the 12" range that were nothing short of spectacular. One of which I could not find a single flaw. I noticed my heart rate elevated, caught myself speaking out loud to who? Then realize the this is the part that drives me now. wondering about ring ratios,what may be hidden underneath, how many staves could I get..... Now making plans for a time to go get um!  Oh.... and I can drive right to them. Gotta love that! ;D

Offline ohma

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 11:22:27 am »
i second the drive right to them.at this stage in life that means more or less bow wood.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 11:37:13 am »
I'll vote for finding a tree and harvesting it. I just cut down a locust tree last week  from the back of my place that I have been watching grow for 10 years now.
We'll see how it does in a couple more years I guess... Oh, and I could drive the tractor right up to it. ;D

Cleaning off the bark of an osage stave and seeing what is under it is kinda like opening a birthday present. Ya just never know what you'll get... :)

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 01:38:04 pm »
Process or journey? Yes, finding the tree, to finish, to first shot!

Like my first trip to Fla. at the age of 8. Riding in the back of Dad's Olds, laying in the back dash! ;D

Agree with Art, like life, too! Another reason why I'm not a fan of board bows.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 02:03:45 pm »
i guess im simple ...i just like "it" !

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 02:30:15 pm »
i guess im simple ...i just like "it" !

Amen to that Ken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »
I think the most exciting part for me is the first low brace. I can usually tell a lot about the bow at that point. The first shot tells me if the bow will be a shooter or a good shooter. I sometimes make the first shot before the tillering is complete but I am sure everything is lining up and that the limbs are bending evenly and together. At this time the handle is unshaped and the tips are wide and thick.
  Imagining the bow inside the stave can also be an exciting moment because I try to let the stave tell me what it wants to be. Succeeding with the staves wishes is very rewarding also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC