Author Topic: any knappers in the Chambersburg PA area?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline hook

any knappers in the Chambersburg PA area?
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:21 am »
Hey all ,
Just looking for someone in the area to maybe help me find some flint!

thanlks

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: any knappers in the Chambersburg PA area?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:15 pm »
Hook, I,m up in the Erie area an stone here is abundant just not the right kind :( :(  No flint, no cane for arrows, an osage is pretty scarse, sometimes i wonder why I continue to live here, ohhhh must be because we have all the snow :D :D :D later bob

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:56:50 pm »
I think I saw some on top of one of those big stony hills on 322 ( you probably know which one I mean) right before you get into Harrisburgh.LOl ;D ;D  I live in Clarion county, but I do get down that way quite often. I have an aunt that lives 20 minutes away from Chambersburg. I have found some flint on her property.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline outback118

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:39:05 pm »
In my web searching I found that there is Metarhyolite on South Mountain some were.heres a link that gives some history on it.

http://twipa.blogspot.com/2011/01/prehistoric-lithic-quarries-in.html

good hunting, let me know if you find any.

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:35:16 am »
I'm up in Perry county.  Probably 45 minutes north east of you.  Feel free to give me a shout.  I'll hook you up with info on some local knapp ins.  Or we can get together and bust some rock or work on some bows.

Bill

Offline hook

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:14:23 pm »
chessieboy,
thanks for the invite! Might just take you up on that. I will be working up here for about 3 months. I have never knapped any but have just ordered some tools and about ready to give it a go. I also brought a bow with me that still needs a bunch of work.